Weird names in menu for controller buttons - understand?

Hey guys! When I try to map keys in DOS games to buttons on my Logitech F310 controller, the buttons are referred to as “Auto: 0 (N/A)” or “Auto: Hat #0 down (N/A)”.

How can I find out which buttons these are on the controller?

Screenshot:buttonnames

Found the solution! For those wondering the same thing:

1. In “Settings” > “Driver”, check what your joypad driver is. In my case, it was udev.
  2. On your computer, navigate to .config/retroarch/autoconfig/udev (or if you’re on another OS, find the folder where your RetroArch config files are)
  3. Open Logitech_Gamepad_F310.cfg
  4. Keep that file open and navigate to .config/retroarch/autoconfig/dinput
  5. Open Gamepad F310 (Controller).cfg
  6. At the bottom of that file, you will find a whole block of config lines containing labels for each button.
  7. Copy that block of config lines and paste it into Logitech_Gamepad_F310.cfg, leaving one blank line above them
  8. Save
  9. The correct button labels will show in the RetroArch menu.

After doing some more digging, I also found this article that goes more into joypad config and labelling: https://www.retroarch.com/index.php?page=joypad-autoconfig

Hey, good job tracking that down :slight_smile:

If you like, you can add the button labels to your udev autoconfig and then submit it to the autoconfig repo and we’ll get it included in the default profiles.

Hey Hunter! Yeah, I’ll be happy to do that. I don’t know how it works though, so I’ll look into it next chance I get (hopefully on the weekend). I know it’s indicated in the article I found.

1 Like

Hey Hunter! I looked up the repository and I think it’s this one:

My knowledge of what GitHub is and how it works is very rudimentary, and though I have an account I made years ago, I can’t submit files to this repository. It tells me:

“Uploads are disabled. File uploads require push access to this repository.”

I won’t have time to learn about this in the near future, so I uploaded the updated joypad cfg file here:

Would you be willing to submit it to the repo, by any chance?

hey, sure, no problem. I’ll take care of it.

Just for reference, the way it usually works is: you fork the repo to your own account, make your changes (in your case, add the new file), commit your changes to your local repo, and then open a “pull request” to apply your changes to the “upstream” repository.

Thanks, appreciate it! I’m making 1-2 more profiles for other controllers I have, so I’ll teach myself about this and submit those too. Thanks for the pointers!

1 Like

Finally got this added. Sorry it took so long :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome, and no worries! I just added a pull request for 3 more that I made for my 2 Afterglow Xbox 360 controllers (one of them was recognized as a “Harmonix Xbox 360 controller” one time for some reason, which is why I have 3 autoconfigs in total).

1 Like