Wii RetroArch 1.5.0 - CPS2 Final Burn Alpha Core ...Qsound sounds bad

It sounds like the whistles from Yoshi’s Island in Super Mario RPG. It is unpleasant to hear, and it’s ruining Street Fighter Alpha 2, which is some kind of sin against the nature of gaming.

Lemme know. I have a ‘qsound.zip’ file in the same directory as the gamefile for Street Fighter Alpha 2. If this is incorrect, then that’s the solution, and I need to know the right filepath for the qsound file. Or I could be barking up the wrong tree, there. It could be an improper qsound file, or qsound may run at higher than 32000 hz and I cannot seem to change the sampling rate in the Wii port of RetroArch at all.

I almost certain Final Burn Alpha on RA Wii does not need a separate qsound dump file, now or in previous versions. All the FBA cores are fixed at FBA 2012 (0.2.97.30 for generic FBA core and Neo Geo, 0.2.97.28 for CPS1 and CPS2). The necessity for the qsound file for CPS2 and a few CPS1 games is more related to recent releases of MAME. I think the problem you are experiencing is a general audio bug lots of us are seeing in both the CPS2 and the Neo Geo cores. It seems to have come in around the 1.4.0 release and is still present in 1.5 If you use the 1.3.6 release (and earlier), sound is normal. And qsound.zip is not needed for those.

1 Like

Indeed, this works fine. Thank you.

This problem still exists in version 1.6…

1 Like

I have the exact same issue. Don’t remember it happening in an older version. Sounds absolutely terrible, can you guys fix it??

Just tried 1.6.4. Still the same problem :frowning:

There should be a commit pushed for this now.

1 Like

I’m REALLY late to reply but thank you!! I just tested 1.6.7 on Wii. Capcom CPS1 and CPS2 sound is normal again. Neo Geo sound problem persists though.

1 Like

I just tested 1.7.0 for Wii. Thanks for continuing to support that platform. FBA Neo Geo core sound problem still exists unfortunately.

I just tested RA 1.7.3 for Wii and can confirm audio issues for Neo Geo, CPS1 and CPS2 cores are all FIXED! Rejoice! :grin: On the downside, screen rotation option for vertical resolution games is missing again :frowning:

1 Like

On either 1.7.3 and 1.7.6 Retrarch for Wii I have audio issues with CPS2 games (maybe only those that use QSound?). The problem is evident as soon as the QSound logo shows up, with popping noises being very noticeable during the QSound jingle, as well as in gameplay (tested with Vampire Hunter - Lord of Vampire).

I hunted down an old copy of RetroArch-Wii 1.3.6, after reading that CPS2 problems started after that version, and renamed/replaced the .dol for FBA CPS2 and now sound is perfect. So this is still an issue that should be looked at for future stable releases.

As a data point, I am using a PAL Wii set to 60Hz 480i.