1.2.2 configuration already obsolete by 1.3

After the update the 1.3, my 1.2.2 config was already outdated in some cases. If it didn’t take weeks of trial and error to set up just right, I could ignore this.

I noticed that the video and audio filters were given their own folder (‘filters’ instead of ‘audio_filter/video_filter’), and many options were turned on/off such as ‘Log Verbosity’ (why?). Using an old config would have meant, for better or worse, that these new changes would not have applied. Unaware of other possible changes, I decided to start over from scratch, and it’s kinda disheartening.

What is the general rule to configurations after an update? Are you supposed to throw them away and start over?

We change some defaults with almost every release but it’s usually nothing particularly important (like logging verbosity). I usually keep the same old configs around unless/until something breaks.

If you want to stay as close to the vanilla defaults as possible, i would recommend copying the things you always want (paths, etc.) into a separate file, similar to the retroarch-defaults.cfg that comes with the Windows port, so you can start with that instead of a completely naked config.

I used a free program called Notepad++ to sort them into alphabetical lines, then compare the old and new config and apply changes as needed. It’s not the most ideal workaround, but it did help somewhat.

Well, i don’t know if it has to do with the same issue here but whenever i try to save a new config with the newer versions, i get a “failed to save” message. I can load my old configs fine, but i can’t save new ones if i do any change. The only way to save a new config is to use 1.2.2 version.

And yes, i spent days and nights setting up all my systems.

[QUOTE=GemaH;33888]Well, i don’t know if it has to do with the same issue here but whenever i try to save a new config with the newer versions, i get a “failed to save” message. I can load my old configs fine, but i can’t save new ones if i do any change. The only way to save a new config is to use 1.2.2 version.

And yes, i spent days and nights setting up all my systems.[/QUOTE]

I have that same issue with the nightlies. In 1.3 it worked fine but shaders were broke. Nightlies fixed the shaders but now the saving configs is broke >,<