1.7.7 Shader Issue

With 1.7.7 OpenGL stable, applying a shader causes RA to crash. So I tried a nightly version (2019-07-11 06:09). RA no longer crashes, but applying a shader doesn’t work. If I exit a game and go back, the shader pass is back at 0. I’m on a 2017 13” MacBook Pro running 10.14.5. Anyone else experience this issue and know of a fix?

Can you post a log? That should give us an idea of what’s going wrong.

I’m using this line in the folder where RetroArch is located:

retroarch --menu --verbose --log-file ~/retroarch.log

I get this:

-bash: retroarch: command not found

My experience with the command line is limited. Am I doing something wrong?

Is the macOS version a regular app bundle? If so, start it with:

open -a RetroArch.app --args --menu --verbose --log-file ~/retroarch.log

(Assuming the app bundle is actually named “RetroArch”.)

I removed -a and it worked. Thanks. Here’s the log.

I just wanted to follow up with this issue. Is the log okay? Do you need anymore info?

I’m not sure what’s going on there. It seems to be getting the cocoagl context okay, and the menu shaders are compiling… I’ll try to pass your log around and see if anyone with more Mac experience can spot what’s going wrong.

Thanks. I wiped all of the RetroArch folders and tried a fresh install of a recent 1.7.7 Metal nightly. Shaders still won’t apply. I went back to 1.7.5 and they work.

Which shaders are you loading with the Metal nightly? Slang or glsl?

Slang. It’s the only one available in the online updater. The glsl folders are empty.

Ok, that’s good. That’s what should work with Metal.

do you guys have any issues here where the app wont open at all, sayingRetroArch_OSX`only? freezing up at boot?

the thing is, it has worked for a while, an hour or so.

mine was working, and I played around with the video settings and then is stopped…

tks Felipe

That’s probably the source of your issue. You should probably delete your retroarch.cfg and let it create a new one from scratch. I think it’s in Application Support/Retroarch…?

I assumed something like that… I`m on MacOS and even though I tried to delete the app and any supporting folder (documents/Retroarch), whenever I reinstall, the issue remains. when deleting the app, I search for retroarch on finder and spotlight, and delete the only folder that comes up… but when reinstalling, the issuer remains.

If I create a new user on mac, the issue goes away on that new user.

so there is some config or setting file that I`m having trouble finding to delete…

any idea where such file would be in mac os? (application support/retroarch was not there)

tks

I believe it’s in /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/RetroArch/config

You may need to turn on the option to show hidden files before you can see it. dunno.

Maybe there’s some cached data lying around that interferes too. (Maybe cached shaders or anything that depends on the GPU.) Maybe deleting them will help. See:

thanks. this solved it. for some reason spotlight was NOT finding that folder when I searched. thanks!!!

1 Like