1.7.7 - Some Issues

Yeah it’s definitely a bug in the new OpenGL Core driver. I’ve switched back to the old OpenGL driver for now.

Thanks for the report, we’ll see if we can get a fix in real quick.

1 Like

Load core, load game, pick slang shader preset and save a core preset, close Retroarch. Load game that uses the same core via command line through another frontend and the game loads without the preset though when you go into the Quick Menu > Shaders all the shader passes are there but no shader effects are shown. Double checked the default video driver is set to GLcore and it’s also set to GLcore when the core is loaded. I used the GenesisGX core for my testing.

I’ve set a default shader (an edited version of crt_aperture) in the retroarch.cfg:

video_shader = ":\shaders\default_crt_shader.glslp" (<- changed to a .slang shader for the new driver)
video_shader_enable = "true"

The default shader is loaded every time, if no specific core config file can be found.

But with the new “OpenGL Core” driver, this method no longer works.

Yeah it seems to be an issue when loading a core via command line, loading a game through the RA GUI such as the History tab it loads the shader fine. This only happens with the GLcore video driver, the old GL driver does not have this issue.
I tried it with the GL driver and a GLSL shader, no problem. Tried it with Vulkan and DX12 with a slang shader and also works fine.

1 Like

Do you think it would be possible to display the widget over the Overlay?

Yeah I forgot saying I am using RocketLauncher which sends command lines to RA, anyway, I switched to Vulkan and everything is working fine, loading the shaders, etc.

Yeah, these seem to just be bugs with the GL_core driver, so we’ll get those worked out and it should be good.

2 Likes

@hunterk

Hi!

Has it already been fixed?

Thanks.

for at least some of the drivers, yeah.

Hi @hunterk, what do you mean by “some of the drivers”? Fixed for some gpu vendors only, or do you mean something else?

With GLcore + frontend (LaunchBox) the shader preset doesn’t load…

@cubatilles it means that it’s fixed for GL and Vulkan. The other RetroArch video drivers will need to be fixed separately:

@lfan which preset(s)? All of them? Can you post a log?

I saved the core preset for shader, but RetroArch doesn’t load the file when I run the core via LaunchBox. It’s only with GLcore driver.

Correcting: the preset is loaded but not applied.

Still the same as you stated, I was using Vulkan, which loads the shader presets fine, but with this video driver, the content isn’t running smoothly, horizontal scroll stutters, while GLcore is smooth, but won’t apply the shader preset automatically via CLI.

Edit: I have fixed the stuttering with Vulkan as I mentioned above by running DDU (Display Driver Unninstaller) in safe mode and refreshing the GPU driver, the problem was totally on my end.

The jagged scrolling is back using Vulkan, I have no idea what could be causing that, switching back to GL or GL Core it runs smoothly.

Could a log help somehow?

Does it help to disable audio sync or increase the audio latency?

No difference messing with audio latency in Vulkan, in fact, when I switch to Vulkan, even the frontend itself isn’t smooth as it’s with GL or GL core. It’s probably something with my end since I upgraded the GPU recently and didn’t notice this behavior with the older GPU. I just can’t figure out what could cause this, same Nvidia settings as before, same driver, latest 430.64 version.

I just tried a PC game in Vulkan, Rage 2, it runs smoothly, I thought it could be something Vulkan related in general but it seems to be only affecting Retroarch with this driver.

Thank you, this really helped me!