120hz weird situation?

So I often use 120hz on my PC CRT monitor without any problem setting it as 2560x240p.

But recently I got a Sony X900E that supports 1080p at 120hz with 16ms of input latency. When using this monitor I get reported screen framerate as 60hz but I can confirm that my TV is receiving 1080p 120hz.

The swap chain is set to 1, which isn’t correct but still it runs at normal speed.

So, what is going on exactly?

On my PC CRT I have to set it to 2 or the game will run at double the speed.

But on the Sony set V sync on and off makes no difference (except for tearing) and setting swap to 2 makes the game sutter.

Tried to use several Snes cores and all show the same result. Tried vulkan, GL and D39, 11 and 12 all giving me the same result.

Any idea of what is going on here? In case this makes any difference I’m running an i7 6700k with a 1080 TI on Windows 10 using the latest nvidia drivers 398.36.

Try setting your video_refresh_rate to 120.0 in your retroarch.cfg.

Hi huntek,

It’s already set to 120hz. I use the TV as at 4k for everything else and RetroArch changes the resolution without any problem.

I can see 1920x1080 120hz with the TV display function. It’s working as it should I just find it weird that it’s reporting 60hz.

To anyone that might need this information I’ve found what was going on.

RetroArch uses audio for limiting frame rate wich is neat but I had no idea about it. So when you launch 120hz and only sees 60hz as reported it’s because audio sync is limiting it.

If you disable it you can use the vsync swap to limit frame rate.

Well nothing changed in the end but I’m happy to have figured it out.

2 Likes