[$470] Support MAME-style backdrop, screen, bezel, overlay "artwork"

The idea is for RetroArch (that is, regardless of which core is loaded) to be able to load any of the artwork files created for MAME, whether it be for arcade bezels, vectrex overlays or whatever.

1 Like

Ah yes that lightbulb just turned on with my 3rd read through !

“Compatible” with is the key lol

2 Likes

Thank you for your contribution to the bounty @Thatman84! Now up to $150

1 Like

No worries, i was meaning to do this myself for the longest time!

Please add menu option to disable mouse cursor on overlay. For bezel use it is frustrating having to manually disable every time.

1 Like

The visible cursor is a result of the overlay system being designed for input. The new system would be used entirely for cosmetics, so that wouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like

Ok, now this is an incredible project!

I am wondering if there is a way of porting it with enhancements, for example in the View toggle, as MAME lets you choose between Cropped and Full, but Cropped does not make the gameplay area take over in horizontal games, and for vertical games it does not even work at all.

Be checking this project closely as it might be the reason to move over from the standalone MAME.

Thank you to all involved!

Bounty more than doubled to $400 thanks to a donation from @nayslayer, thank you!

1 Like

bounty up to $405. thanks @188pilas!

1 Like

Bounty up to $430 - thank you @Taranchul!

1 Like

The bounty is up to $460 – thanks @HyperspaceMadness!

Bounty up to $470 – thanks @shenglong!

FYI, this is now completed and activated for use with the GL driver in the nightly builds. They are not activated automatically, but you can select them manually and they fire up just like in MAME (i.e., so you can use them with other cores/games, as well):

2 Likes

After looking around, on how to enable this, i found the settings in:
(Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - libretro testing PPA)

Settings -> Onscreen Display -> Video Layout

The default path is

retroarch/layouts/

I don’t know if *.zip files are working, in my case (frogger artwork) i had to extract the files
Now i was able to load my games with the frogger artwork.

[First Impression] Performance is so much better than in mame_libretro with native artworks.
On my low-end laptop it changes from nearly unplayable (~15fps) to normal (60fps +)

That’s correct, yeah. Zips worked fine for me but maybe there’s something else involved.

*.zip Browse Archive or Load Archive?

Load results in a crash and browse doesn’t show the *.lay file

command line: segmentation fault

log:

[ERROR] Frontend is built for dynamic libretro cores, but path is not set. Cannot continue.
[ERROR] Fatal error received in: "init_libretro_symbols()"
[ERROR] failed_to_start_audio_driver

wut? I don’t get either of those. I just get a list of files that include the zip and if I select it just plops it right in.

In 1 hour i can test on my windows machine, to see if it is a linux problem.

May i ask for a screenshot of your loading dialog :

1 Like

1 Like

Tested on windows7 - AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series:
Zip loads fine and game starts, but screen remains black (sound is present, so game is running)

1. *.zip in linux doesn’t load, but *.lay is working. game plays with visible artworks
  2. *.zip and *.lay in windows is loading, game plays but screen remains black (graphic card/driver too old?)

Nothing found in *.log file. Everything looks normal there