2 problems with N64 controls

I’m using RetroArch on windows and while i’m amazed at the level of control and variety of options in retroarch’s ini config files, there are two things i haven’t been able to do, which may not be supported or there was an oversight on my part, in which case someone might be able to help me:

1. Multiple buttons/axes for the same command.

The ideal configuration for a N64 controller emulated in a standard contoller (Xbox360 or PS3/4) is to have the Z-trigger mapped to both triggers. To achive this, Retroarch should let you map two different axes for the same command for the same player. As of now it lets you map an axis and a button for the same command, but not two different axes or two buttons.

I have tried input_player1_l2_axis = “+2, -2” input_player1_l2_axis = “+2” “-2”

and none so far seem to work. I don’t know whether this is a limitation of Retroarch or there is a way to do it that i don’t know at the moment.

1. C-buttons

Again, the ideal configuration for a standard controller would be to have the c-buttons mapped to the right analog stick (which Retroarch does by default) WHILE at the same time have some of them mapped to the face buttons. Now, Retroarch does allow you to do this in the ini since axes and buttons can be mapped separately for one command, BUT there is a deadzone problem.

Retroarch has a certain analog threshold to prevent unintended c-button presses. While the analog is moving you can’t press the face button of the same command. However, even if the analog does not register a c-button press it still won’t let you use the face button if the analog is even SLIGHTLY off center, which means there must be another deadzone setting i’m not seeing or it’s just a problem with RetroArch.

Any help with these 2 issues would be greatly appreciated given how problematic the N64 control scheme can be.

1.) yep, that’s a limitation of retroarch. You can’t do many-to-one or one-to-many for controls of any one type.

2.) there’s the analog deadzone core option, but that’s the only I know of.

Oh, well, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

These issues are easy to work around with keyboard mappers like Xpadder anyway, but sadly Retroarch doesn’t seem to register keyboard input when it’s not in focus, which prevents me from exploiting Retroarch’s ability to run multiple instances at once flawlessly.

Anyway, thanks.