360 controllers only configure to port #0

I plug the first xbox 360 controller in and it’s configured in port #0. I plug a second one in and it will also configure to port #0. I can navigate the menu with both controllers, and if I load a game both controllers will control player 1. However, the controllers’ green light ring show one is player 1 and the other is player 2. I’ve tried this with both wired 360 controllers, both wireless, and one of each. If I plug in the wireless first, it shows up in User 1’s device index as xbox 360 wireless controller (port #0). If I then plug in the wired controller, it shows up in User 2’s device index as xbox 360 wired controller, but still in (port #0). If I try changing it to another port in the device index it just shows up as N/A, port #0 is the only one with anything attached to it. It’s pretty bizarre. By this point I feel like any combination of all types of controllers would get the same result.

So, what do I do?

Also (this probably doesn’t need a whole new thread), how do nightly updates work? Sometimes when something in Retro goes wrong I’ll download a nightly build, but of course I have to go through and configure all my setting (update cores, configure controllers, set my directories, etc.) Is there a way to update to a new build without starting from scratch?

Have you tried disabling autoconfig and map manually the second controller to input 2? Go to input 2 and select bind all and map the second controller buttons. About nightlies you can just backup your retroarch config file.

re: nightlies, you can download just the executables and then keep your same configs, etc.

Hmmm I tried to reproduce this in windows and I can’t (at least on the latest nightlies) I get my XINPUT controllers mapped nicely to ports 1 2 3 4

My controllers never autoconfigure anyway, even the official Microsoft Xbox 360 controller comes up as “not configured”. I go through and bind all for each user but still the only options in the device index, for any user, are always

• Xbox 360 wired controller (#1)
  • N/A (Port #1)
  • N/A (Port #2)
  • N/A (Port #3)
  • Disabled

I’m on a Mac by the way

Can I bump this thread (not sure if that’s how it works)? Still can’t figure out the second controller. I can’t be the only one with this problem.

Try a clean install of the latest retroarch nightly.

I’m having the exact same problem. I’ve clean installed the 3-18-2016 nightly for osx.

The logging just shows

RetroArch [INFO] :: Port 0: Wireless 360 Controller.
RetroArch [INFO] :: Port 0: Wireless 360 Controller.

For each wireless controller connected.

Can you open an issue about this on github?

Issue created here: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/2808