3D fighting games crashing MAME

Every 2D fighting game is working fine but when I try to load 3D games they just crash at Initializing. Any file I might be missing?

What games in particular? Which of the MAME core you are using and which version of the romset?

You probably miss the bios files or you are using roms that aren’t compatible with the version of MAME you are using.

It will be impossible to confirm without the games’s names, but most 3D games only have preliminary support in MAME.

1 Like

You can use this database and look for “status” and bios required or not.

Exemple with virtua fighter 3 team battle (overall : preliminary)

http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=vf3tb&clone=0&arcade_only=1&autosearch=1

2 Likes

I was trying to get Street Fighter EX running: http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=sfex&arcade_only=0&autosearch=1

After downloading cpzn1 it still crashes at initializing.

Do you have these files in you rom-directory (mame 0.217)?:

coh1000c.zip
    qsound_hle.zip
    sfex.zip

cpzn1.zip is only used until 0.176. Which core do you using?
Have you matching roms as mame is really picky about these things.

mame 0.217 needs 0.217 roms.

Here is my folder: FOLDER

and the content of the rar:

Can you please answer this question first, because everything depends on this

MAME roms are not like other systems roms. MAME roms also get updated and changed along with MAME itself. The idea is to use the correct version of roms with whatever version of MAME you are using.

If, say, you use the current romset (0.217) with a recent version of MAME, let’s say 0.214, most roms will work but Virtua Fighter 1 won’t because that was changed for 0.217. If you use a core like MAME 2003, that’s basically MAME 0.78. That’s MAME from 2003. You need to use older roms from around that time with it, if you use recent roms, at least half of them won’t work with it.

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone here I found my mistake. I was using the 0.217 version of MAME with a romset from 0.14. So I downgraded to MAME 2010 and now everything works fine!

1 Like

Glad to hear that, but i strongly urge you to update your romset as newer versions of MAME have several bugs fixed and there are quality upgrades as well (qsound for example)

You can use a tool like Clrmamepro or RomCenter to verify your roms

(e.g. on mame2010 you dont need the qsound_hle.zip)

2 Likes