4K TV + Windowed Fullscreen = halved Estimated Screen Framerate

Specs: TV: Vizio M50-D1, 4K UHD, 60Hz PC: Windows 10, i5-4690, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Retroarch: v1.60 (latest nightly)

My old HDTV kicked the bucket, so I figured my new one might as well be 4K. Bought one with very low input lag in Game mode. Booted up RA to try it out and every core is running at about half speed.

For some reason, my Estimated Screen Framerate tops off at 30Hz, even though my TV is 60Hz. If I turn off V-Sync, the game runs okay but with horrendous tearing. If I turn Windowed Fullscreen Mode off, and run in normal fullscreen everythings works as expected and my Estimated Screen Framerate returns to 60Hz.

Is this a bug or am I just missing something here?

Is there a reason you need windowed fullscreen? Exclusive fullscreen is the only way to reduce the latency caused by desktop composition in Win8+

It’s a convenience thing mostly. Windowed Fullscreen closes instantly while Fullscreen takes several seconds. Makes for a much more seamless experience with my frontend.

That said, if the latency difference is significant then maybe it’s something I should learn to live with.

Yeah, it’s pretty significant. In my testing, it was about 25 ms, or 1.5-ish frames.

1 Like