4K Vertical Overlay Community Contributions

Yeah, and I think the monitors got bigger too, so there was less bezel space to fill up. I agree it’s a lot of fun to research this stuff and put something together from it. I like taking boxart and flyers etc and using that to come up with what a bezel might have looked like if they had actually done one.

For example my gigawing bezel came from these two flyers:

And my Samurai Shodown 3 came from these:

3 Likes

I’ve further cleaned up the original UN Squadron bezel and I’ve uploaded a high res PNG in the UN Squadron directory in the dropbox folder next to the overlay files, just in case anyone else would like to use it.

4 Likes

I did a restoration of the bezel for the Sega version of Missile Command. The scan was an older one on Mr. Do’s site and he provided it to me for this effort.

Here you can see the original scan:

And my best effort at cleaning it up:

And here it is as a 4k overlay in game:

I really like this variation of the Missile Command artwork so thanks again Mr. Do for providing the scan so I could produce this!

8 Likes

Updated the graphic elements and shading in this Joust overlay:

5 Likes

I put together a new design for Battle Circuit, one of my favorite games. Two variations, pink and orange, are available in the directory, as well as a standalone bezel file.

2 Likes

Would you mind sharing with us your cleaning/restoration workflow?

2 Likes

This was the first time I’ve tried cleaning up something like this so I don’t have a refined workflow or anything like that. Also, one of the tools I used to clean this one up was too invasive and smoothed out the result too much for Mr. Do to consider including the output on his site, so I would take a different approach in the future to avoid that loss of detail.

I’m really just using Photoshop and leveraging the clone stamp, content aware fill, careful brush work and other manual copy/paste type adjustments to clean it up. Along with some compression of the blacks in this case to smooth out the damage to the sky.

If I do more of these I will probably try some different approaches and hopefully obtain a better result next time. For the purposes of my overlay however, I’m very happy with how this came out and it is good enough for that IMO.

1 Like

I went to the Galloping Ghost arcade for the first time last night. Amazing place, >700 cabinets :slight_smile: They had an original Punisher cab and I was able to get some pics of the control panel, cleaned them up and forklifted them to a bezel overlay design.

EDIT: I’ve updated this design to match to the Control Panel design more closely and created purple and blue variations

Standalone bezel and move list png’s are in the game directory as well.

3 Likes

I found some games I wasn’t familiar with at Galloping Ghost that I really liked. I’m going to put together overlays for those I can find artwork for. One of them is Outzone. I’m a big fan of Toaplan games so I’m not sure how I didn’t know about this one, fortunately, there is a great, very clean bezel file available from RaspBear on the MameWorld forums I was able to use.

6 Likes

And Xevious.

6 Likes

Side Arms: Hyper Dyne

4 Likes

Sinistar

4 Likes

Ikari Warriors. A childhood classic. I spent so much time playing this on my Amiga 500.

3 Likes

Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior

5 Likes

Mushihimesama

2 Likes

Commando

4 Likes

Truxton! Probably one of the top 5 shooters ever produced in my opinion.

Thanks to Mr. Retrolust for this reproduction, incredible detailed work.

5 Likes

Gyruss

4 Likes

Great work on those! I really like the very subtle shadow you apply on both ends of the bezel next to the wooden sides, adds a lot of realism on how light works.

There wasn’t much art out there for this game so went with something mostly custom. Just went for a cartoony medieval look.

Knights of the Round

2 Likes