75Hz monitor stutter

Greetings,

I bought a new LED monitor that runs at 75Hz and at least some emulators are stuttering now, Mega Drive, Saturn and TurboGrafx16 being the most noticable. Some other strange things have started to happen also, like games having no sound, which I fix by turning the Retroarch menu on and off until it has sound again and also, when I have my 8bitdo controller plugged in, the info box keeps spamming for some reason.

Solutions?

Dunno about the other stuff, but stuttering at 75 Hz is normal. The games run at ~60 Hz, so if you’re running 25% faster than that, you’re going to have periodic stutters as the games’ refresh rates and the refresh rate of your monitor slide in and out of sync.

The solution is to set your monitor to 60 Hz refresh rate when RetroArch is running. You can do that via the “video_refresh_rate” option in your retroarch.cfg.

What hunterk said is correct. Unless the monitor supports VRR (Freesync or g-sync.) What graphics card do you have? If you can use VRR, then you should enable that and you don’t need to switch to 60Hz.

1 Like

The GPU is an RX 580 8GB and the monitor is compatible with Freesync. Turning to 60Hz doesn’t help, but the emulator runnig better now. I disabled vsync and enabled segmented video and GPU Sync in retroarch and then enabled Freesync, anti-lag and adaptive vsync in Radeon settings, but still not perfect. Dreamcast, for example, still stutters.

Flycast is an outlier. It has frame pacing issues with setups that are perfect for most cores. Turning off audio sync helps, but causes little sound pops.

I made alot of changes. I changed all Retroarch’s video options to default and forced it to run at 74 fps in Radeon options. IT RUNS BUTTER SMOOTH NOW! The games actually run at 75Hz. It blew my mind trying out Dreamcast, Saturn and PS1. Only Mega Drive games are stuttering, but it’s only really noticable in fast sidescrolling games like the Sonic ones, and it’s happens due to Genesis Plus GX. I tried running Sonic 1 with Blastem and…butter smooth 75Hz! GPGX is overrall the better emulator though, so I would appreciate if there was a solution for this.

Also, is it possible to disable the info pop ups?

I found another topic in which Hunterk suggested to set frame throttle max speed to 1.0x to remove stutter and it worked for me.

I don’t know, man. If they are actually running at 75Hz they must be sped up and if they are, then there must not be any stutters. If they are not sped up, then you must get stutters and if you don’t, then your display is set at the native rate (59.97Hz or whatever).

1 Like

They don’t seem sped up. I don’t know, the emulator is running at 75Hz without lag and it definitely runs much smoother than it did with my 60Hz monitor.

That’s normal when using freesync. Enable the FPS indicator in RetroArch to see the framerate (the default keybind for that is F3.)

1 Like