8bitdo pad connects as player 2 instead of player 1

I think this might be simple but new to RetroArch and can’t find how to solve it myself!

The situation is this; I’ve dug out my youngest’s old 5th gen kindle fire tablet he no longer uses and have installed RetroArch 1.8.2 on it to use for retro stuff. I have an 8bitdo M30 gamepad that connects to the tablet, then RetroArch sees it and configures to port 0. I can then load up Streets of Rage 2 and suplex fools all the over the shop to my hearts content.

However, say I pause the game for a bit or lock the screen and come back later, the pad will have powered down. When I turn it back on (just pressing start, not resetting the mode or anything) the pad reconnects to the tablet but the pad is now configured to port 1, so is now the player 2 pad. This is a pain. The only way I have found to fix it is either close and restart the RetroArch app, or switch out of it to another app then back and that seems to flush out the system and the pad will then configure to port 0.

My question really is if there is a way to always force it to port 0 or where I go to manually adjust the controllers without having to leave the app? Or is this just something I’ll need to live with?

Thank you!

Really wish there was answer for this question. I’m on a old android box running 5.1.1 lollipop with a PS4 controller. And my bluetooth get interrupted and turns off briefly all the time, when i sync controller back up it changes from port #0 to port #1. Then the controller has no function until i close RetroArch and reopen. I’m in small place and the router wifi is close to me and messes with the bluetooth signal a lot. Unfortunately my wired Logitech F310 controller isn’t seen by my android box just powers the mode button.

Thanks to the RetroArch team for your hard work. Not everything can be perfect.

1 Like

If you enable ‘all players can control the menu’, you should be able to go back in and change the device index of p1 back to the proper pad. It’s a drag to have to do it manually each time, but it’s better than closing/reopening (maybe).

2 Likes

Thanks again for taking the time to reply back to me Hunter. I think what you suggested would work if i wasn’t in a game.

Just tested it and the PS4 controller disconnects and reconnects as port #1 instead of the functioning port #0 in a game i can’t do anything still. I have mini wireless keyboard thankfully so i press f1 to enter the RetroArch menu in a game. When i close the game and press any button on the controller it goes back to port #0 and the controller works again. Also tried setting max players to 1 and the controller still goes from port #0 to port #1 after it loses bluetooth signal and reconnects.

Thank you for the reply back Hunter! I will try that now.