8Bitdo Wireless controllers and Retroarch Wii

Hello Libretro forums,

I have recently Homebrew-ed my (PAL, original white) Wii for the first time, and got Retroarch up and running. While admittedly fiddly, it’s been working great so far, and is looking beautiful on my PVM. However, I have an 8Bitdo SNES30 controller which I bought to use with an iOS device, and according to the manual it has a ‘Wiimote Mode’ allowing it to connect to the Wii. You hold down a certain button combination and it should then act like a Wiimote. I would love to get this connected in Retroarch to play NES/SNES games, but wouldn’t know where to begin.

Has anyone successfully got this combination working together, or have advice for me in general about how I might set things up?

Thank you for your help

M.

It shouldn’t require anything special from RetroArch. Just pair it up with your Wii as if it were a regular Wiimote and then launch RA.

If all else fails I think I’ll try that, but I’m hoping there’s a way to pair it within Retroarch since I boot straight into the Homebrew channel and would prefer not to have to mess around in the Wiimote-connect screen every time. There’s also the fact that according to the manual it will remain player 2 by default unless I take the batteries out the main Wiimote. It all seems a pretty cumbersome process if I have to do that every time so I’m hoping there’s an alternative. Anyone have any ideas?