90 hz screen (144 hz as well) major issue

Hy guys,

So i’m a little down here :frowning: I just bought a brand new Xiaomi Mi10t Pro with a low latency 144 hz screen, and the first thing i tested is my beloved Retroarch32 with my favourite shmups (Espgaluda 2 etc).

Everything is well untill i start the actual game, which, regardless of audio/video setting, it stutters like crazy, or in the best case it is very jumpy…like the ship randomly teleports a few inches in the direction i’m going…

I tried everything (Audio Sync off and on, V-Sync off and on), and even when forcing Throttle from mame Core settings or Sync to exact Content from Rgui, it still stutters in 90 hz or 144 hz. It actually works with the phone in 60 hz mode, but the touch response is MUCH faster in 144, which is exactly why i bought the phone, to have less input lag.

Is there anything i can do to make it perfectly smooth in 144 hz, as it is on my OnePlus7 (60 hz)??

Thanks so much guys!

Unless it supports VRR, no, it won’t ever be perfectly smooth at 144 Hz (or 90 Hz). However, if you can set it to 120 Hz, you should be able to get smooth scrolling with a vsync swap interval of 2.

The problem is that old games typically run at ~60 Hz and, just like uneven scanlines at non-integer scales, having your display run at non-integer multiples of the native refresh rate results in uneven frame times.

There’s no 120 :frowning:

God damn it, i was so excited for this. They say it has Variable Rate, but i guess it doesn’t work for Retroarch…

Edit: It seems that is related to actually touching the screen. If i’m not touching it, it is smooth, running automatically at perfect 60. If i touch and play, it goes to 144, while the fps stays at 60 so there’s stutters everywhere.

This is so so stupid…whoever came up with this “feature” must be a brainless monkey…