A little scared to update

Hey guys,

So, the last 2 times I updated RetroArch I just scrapped the whole thing and started fresh. Mostly because I hadn’t gotten a solid grasp of how this whole thing functions and my settings were screwy and yeah… just a clean slate was great both those times.

However, I’ve now got everything setup near perfect. The last thing I want to do is overwrite any of my settings, especially if I don’t know what’s being overwritten.

So what would be the best method for updating to the new v1.3.2 version? (I think I’m on v1.3.1)

backup your config files, download the new package and then drop in the configs.

Conversely, you could just download the latest date-stamped nightly for your OS/arch (it’ll contain just 2 executables, retroarch.exe and retroarch_debug.exe) and then drop those into your existing RetroArch folder (again, make sure you backup the old executables in case you want/need to revert for whatever reason).

So is that all that changes between versions, the .exe files? If so that makes upgrading really simple lol.

Generally, yeah. Sometimes (rarely) a new library dependency is added, which you can get from the “redist” package. The cores and everything else can be updated through the online updater.

So then it sounds like the most effective route is to get the full package when new ones are released and then just make sure I’m backing up the config folder.

That’s what i did but i got an error about a missing DLL. That DLL was in the complete package.

Yeah, there was a new dependency added recently, so that happened this time around. It’s usually not an issue, and you can also get that lib from the redist package.

But yeah, just backing up your configs and dropping them into the new package works just as well.

Well, apparently the old configs don’t work with the new version.

When i load a config, it doesn’t load the core anymore. So basically i have to manually create new configs again.

Edit: Even new configs don’t seem to save the core. I have to manually load it every time.

[QUOTE=GemaH;36204]Well, apparently the old configs don’t work with the new version.

When i load a config, it doesn’t load the core anymore. So basically i have to manually create new configs again.

Edit: Even new configs don’t seem to save the core. I have to manually load it every time.[/QUOTE]

I updated but I didn’t have a chance to play around with it. (I spent all night waiting in line to vote) Are you using a frontend or just loading straight from RA?

Yes,we no longer load the core at startup, it was causing problems with some features and in some setups, you can always load the core by using the -L switch if you’re using a launcher or whatever

Oh boy that’s bad for me. I honestly don’t know how to use RetroArch if i can’t save what core to use on each config. I also use a few frontends with it (Hyperspin, LaunchBox, QuickPlay, RocketLauncher) and all are setup with this in mind.

I suppose i will just stick to the older version from now on unless there is an option to be able to save a core again at some point. I don’t know if i have the time and will to re-setup everything from scratch again, or re-learn how to actually setup RetroArch this time, etc. I have too many systems and configs and they work fine as it is. Took me months to get it to where it is.

So, on topic, for me it’s not as simple as a copy-paste of my configs to use the new version.

The RL module does contain the -L parameter. It’s a breeze to launch any Retroarch core from RL.