A procedure for correctly changing discs in a PBP file?

I’ve made PBPs of my PSX games for convenience and to keep the folder clean and readable. I haven’t had to change discs in recent memory (usually just futzing around at the beginning of FFVII). But I wanted to try FF Chronicles. I’m having trouble getting Chrono Trigger which is on the second disc loading correctly. I was able to pause Retroarch, eject disc 1, load disc 2, and close the virtual tray. But FFIV keeps loading for some reason even when I reset the game.

I’m using ES-DE, the scraping of which is mildly botched (it wants one game or the other and doesn’t refer to the collection), but I’m 99% certain that shouldn’t be a problem.

If there’s a reference to this in the documentation, can I get a link. If it’s there I’m missing it.

edit: I’m content reorganizing my collection and stop using PBP if the format is troublesome.

I don’t know about PBP because I use (and suggest) CHD, but anyway it might work the same:

you need to create a txt file and write in it

the file names of the two (or more) discs. the you will rename the txt with the name of the game and with the extension: m3u.

example:

files:

Final Fantasy VII (Disc 1).pbp
Final Fantasy VII (Disc 2).pbp
Final Fantasy VII (Disc 3).pbp
Final Fantasy VII.m3u

Content of Final Fantasy VII.m3u

Final Fantasy VII (Disc 1).pbp
Final Fantasy VII (Disc 2).pbp
Final Fantasy VII (Disc 3).pbp

Then load the game using the m3u file, doing this will prepare all 3 disc for you and when prompted:

Disc Control ->Eject disc -> Current Disc Index -> select the disc -> insert disc

Using m3u file will also create a single save file for the game.

It has nothing to do with the disc format with that particular core (Beetle PSX), but everything to do with the core being paused while doing the disc change. It is mentioned in the small print:

Edit: There is no point using PBP format at all if you are going to use M3U. One PBP can hold multiple discs, and the core does not know the difference.

Does running on SwanStation make a difference?

And by paused do you mean additionally paused other than being in the Quick Menu anyhow?

The sublabel is pretty clear. Either disable that option, or manually just toggle menu after the tray operations so that the emulator receives the empty drive state between the discs. Zero idea about Swanstation, so why not simply try it out.

There is also the option of doing it with hotkeys without entering the menu.

there are 3 hotkeys (not sure the default values),

Setting -> input -> Hotkeys

then assign keys to:

Disc Eject (toggle)
Next Disc
Previous Disc

Disc Eject first, then use Next Disc to select the disc and then hit again Disc Eject.

Figured it out. The discs got reversed when I made the container. Disc 2 ended up being ffiv and disc 1 Chrono Trigger. Completely my bad.