About Chrono Cross: Enemy stats on New Game+

Well this is nothing related to emulator at all, But maybe someone experienced know about this here I havent played Chrono Cross in long time.I am playing New game+ and Noticed the enemies are stronger! Looks like Monsters HP Duplicate…This is true per each new game+? So on my Third Playthrough monster will have 4x? Anyone know?

Also i was working on a mod with enemy stats x200% (details on Chronocompendium) but fighting final boss on New game+ resulted in very very short hp (just about 170) maybe i reached a treshold for max HP and reseted it?

From what i could gather, enemies do in fact double their HP values during NG+. Though i do not know if this is a one-time deal or if they double their HP with each consecutive cycle. But since the game pretty much requires 3 cycles to be “completed”, i assume that they planned for that and doubled HP values each time. Again, just what i could gather online, i have nothing to prove that.

As for the final boss (minor SPOILERS from hereon out):

The Time Devourer has a flat 10.000 base HP, so 20.000 in NG+ 20.000 +200% would be 60.000.

Doesn’t really seem like a number that would roll over. There’s already a mod floating around that aimed to make the game harder: http://ngplus.net/InsaneDifficultyArchive/www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index06f5.html?/files/file/22-chrono-cross-times-anguish/ It also increased enemy stats, maybe get in touch with the creator?

Interesting, I have heard of his mod. Too bad those forums look almost dead. I would like if someone has a savefile with a 3rd playthru to test if this is the case? By the way, looks like i cant make HP higher than 32768 or it wrecks

GameFAQ’s has a save from “jvtruman” with all characters. If they didn’t cheat it together, that means they at least completed 2 cycles completely, maybe even 3. Maybe that helps. Mine is…well…gone with ePSXe 1.9 i think? :smiley: Man, i really need to play this again.

And 32768 sounds like the max value of a signed 16bit integer. So yeah, that might be the maximum you can reach, which would also rule out that the game doubles HP for every NG+ cycle, as Dream Devourer would quickly roll over again.

1 Like

Interesting the last paragraph

Since the Dream Devourer has 32000 HP, which is close to the signed 16-bit integer limit, it is actually possible to defeat it by healing it. By using powerful magic that it absorbs during its second phase, it can be (temporarily) healed past 32767 HP, which overflows the counter and makes its HP go negative.

So… just as you said, this looks to be the case too on CC, however on 3rd playthru the HP would be reduced? Thats the big question!.

Like i said, my best guess is that the HP doubling only occurs once and not with each Cycle. And even if so, would they just add the base value (10k for the Time Devourer) again, or actually double the new value? That would mean that as soon as NG+2 (3rd playthrough), Time Devourer would just…implode (10k base, 20k NG+, 40k NG+2).

I have my doubts here. They either implemented a hard cap on scaling, or it’s just a one-time deal and no matter how often you play NG+, it’s just base HP *2.

But i have no evidence to any of that. Another idea would be to look if the speedrunning scene has a Discord server or a forum for Chrono Cross. Those guys usually do a lot if data mining and poking. I wouldn’t be surprised if they could give you insight in how CC’s NG+ actually works on a technical level.

Haha, yes following the principle of HP+(HP*#Playthru) So on third playthru strange things might happen, another boss that would suffer of this is Criosphinx, it does has base 13k HP.

Just tested those savefiles from gamefaqs with 98 99 Stars and just got HP doubled as well. Sadly, I dont see any damage increase or patterns change, lazy devs…