About retroarch onscreen framerate per second

Hi there.

I have a working retroarch/libretro installation that works great, but there is a issue with on-screen framerate. I disabled threaded video option to measure monitor framerate

My monitor is a CRT one running at 75Hz… In windowed mode, when the retroarch window has focus, the on-screen framerate per second shows 60.0, but when any other window has focus, it shows 75 (74.7 to be more precise)

is this normal? Any ideas?

I can set a true 60 Hz modeline with cvt/xrandr and get perfect sync/motion but I was wondering if there is something wrong with on-screen framerate per second.

I’m using debian jessie 64 bits with on CPU integrated video Intel HD Graphics P4000. I built retroarch/libretro myself following https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/wiki/Compilation-guide-(Linux)

I can supply any additional information if that matters.

Thank you and regards.

I don’t think anything is wrong, exactly, but behavior can be unpredictable in that situation. If you have vsync enabled and audio sync disabled, and you have it running in a window that doesn’t have focus, does the game speed up to 75 fps?

With audio sync disabled the game speed up to 75 fps and shows 74.7. No matter if the window has focus or not.

And I found that the issue I described in OP only happens in the retroarch menu itselt (not in gameplay) and when pause_nonactive is set to true.

With pause_nonactive set to false, in retroarch menu it always shows 60, with or without focus, despite the fact that the monitor is running at 75 Hz. When playing a game if shows and plays at 60 HZ if audio sync is enabled and shows and plays at 74 Hz if audio sync is disables. No matter where the focus is.

Ok, yeah, that’s acting as expected. The audio expects to run at 60 fps for most consoles (wonderswan is a notable exception), so audio sync will cause games to run that speed instead of matching to your monitor’s speed.

The menu has its own throttle setting that was set to 60 because, when we used to sync it to the monitor, people with very high refresh rates (e.g., 120+ fps) would have trouble controlling it because it ran so fast.