AI Image Uscaler?

Can anyone that has some experience upscaling arcade artwork, etc… recommend a good, not-online, AI image upscaler? Thanks.

1 Like

topaz, gigapixel and ESRGAN are all popular AFAIK

4 Likes

I use Gigapixel quite a lot, very happy with the results… would recommend. Post me a low res image and I’ll post the results.

2 Likes

Thanks, Boz… I’d like to see what it can do.

3 Likes

I’ve got something better for you!

1 Like

Messaged you, in the meantime giga failed pretty bad on that example :frowning: :sob:

1 Like

Great game though :metal:

1 Like

Got any bezel examples you have ran through Gigapixel with good results?

1 Like

Probably… I normally use it to upscale 1080 images to 4K. With this prog the image quality seems to increase as you go larger (as long as you don’t go silly). You can see it on text better.

2 Likes

1 sec m8 just making food

1 Like

Ok here’s an image i grabbed off the web (1180 x 700)

Then here’s how it looks up close at x4 increase:

And the result:

4 Likes

Ok… it looks great. I’m convinced. I guess we should probably be running more of the commonly circulating artwork resources through this.

2 Likes

Send it my way then if you want :+1: (it’ll keep me busy)

2 Likes

I managed to wrangle a copy. If you have any tips for good results, let me know. Thanks for the help… I appreciate it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t think I swayed far from the defaults tbh, and because I usually upscale arcade artwork I leave it on the art preset.

2 Likes

Ok… that’s what I was doing on the first couple I tried. I ran the bezel for Barrier and it does look a bit more crisp.

2 Likes

I guess the main thing is that it doesn’t look any worse when you upscale. Try changing the Interpolation method in photoshop to (best for enlargement) and increase the image size to the same as you have in Gigapixel. See which is best.

2 Likes

Gigapixel definitely seems to do a good job. You get to the point, apparently, where the image is just too bad and it needs a good, old fashioned redraw, but for reasonably good starting images, I’m getting good results. It’s really easy to use also… great for a nub like me.

2 Likes

Just wanted to mention on things like instruction cards that have small print, etc… I’m getting good enough results with this upscaler that images that were just there as part of the ambience can now be read clearly while playing. Definitely should be considering upscaling as part of the arcade art process, imo.

2 Likes

Agreed, I do it out of habit now. :+1:

2 Likes