All my progress gone!

I’ve been using RetroArch 1.3.4 with the Genesis Plus GX core for about a week now using the ingame save with no issues at all. Tonight, I loaded a game and played for over 2 hours then saved (I also saved many many times during the course of these 2 or so hours). I then unplogged my headphones which caused RetroArch to crash. I started it back up and to my surprise the save file I was using only has the save from last night, the one I was using when I started 2 or so hours ago!!!

What the hell happened? Where is my save? Why did it revert to a save that I saved 10 times ago? I’m a little more than really frustrated at this; that was a lot of work to get where I did in that time.

By default RetroArch only saves SRAM on exit, so the crash caused it not to save. There’s an option in Settings, Saving called SaveRAM autosave interval you can set to save SRAM to file every XX seconds to avoid losing progress from crashes or power loss.

Is there some sort of technical limitation that makes RetroArch unable to save SRAM when you save a game using in-game methods?

Yes, there are many games that use SRAM for game RAM, so they constantly write to it. If we wrote to file every time SRAM changed, any of those games would thrash your HDD and put unnecessary wear and tear on SSDs. It may be possible to do some crazy heuristics like checking how long it’s been since it changed and if it’s less than a certain amount of time, or blah blah blah, but it’s easier just to set a flush interval like the one Awakened mentioned.

That makes sense, thanks for the info.

[QUOTE=akusei;41387]I’ve been using RetroArch 1.3.4 with the Genesis Plus GX core for about a week now using the ingame save with no issues at all. Tonight, I loaded a game and played for over 2 hours then saved (I also saved many many times during the course of these 2 or so hours). I then unplogged my headphones which caused RetroArch to crash. I started it back up and to my surprise the save file I was using only has the save from last night, the one I was using when I started 2 or so hours ago!!!

What the hell happened? Where is my save? Why did it revert to a save that I saved 10 times ago? I’m a little more than really frustrated at this; that was a lot of work to get where I did in that time.[/QUOTE]

I had the same issue. Just got my savefile reverted to one at the very beggining, even though SaveRam Autosave was on (10 min interval). I would expect get my progress lost form the last time it saved untill the crash but not get it reverted.

This is why I save a state everytime I save in-game, and then some lol.