Alt-Tab, External Second Screen anything not focused on retroarch seems to drop frame

So my goal was to setup my Surface Pro 3 as my emulationStation with RetroArch. Well I done pretty much all of it, the last thing is to connected it to a basic 24" HDMI computer monitor with a minDisplay Port to HDMI cable. Everything seems to work on but as soon as retroarch is on the external screen there is a lot of distortion and the game is vastly slower. I checked out the RGUI where it gives my current refresh rate and its sitting at 33ish, when its on my main screen its 60 or 59.875 ect.

I noticed that this acts this way when I put it in window mode as well and also when I alt-tab out of the emulator for a brief moment I hear the distortion, so when it goes to the external screen it acts like it’s not in focus.

Is there any setting or anyway to correct this? I would hate to have to move my operation to a standard computer. I still have some things to try and even ordered a Active adapter for min - DP for I thought it might need a bit more umfp but, I tested music and videos from my nas on the external screen and it works just fine.

Thanks any help is great, I tested both Stable and Nightly backends and cores.

Still no fix for it as it might be related more to the surface pro. Its odd that it only happens when the resolution changes, as the surface pro 3 has an odd screen resolution, moving lower one would think you can increase the refresh rate

I found a Fix but you have to over lock the refresh rate on the monitor, which is not supported by intel based cards, last ditch effort going to hook it up via a 1440p monitor to match the surface, if not the I will just grab a spare tower, I have a spare i7 630gt, as all my roms are on my has, just copy and paste should be gtg, but highy disappointed I wanted a main that I can plug and play anywhere