Analog Controls in Mednafen PSX

I can’t seem to get Mednafen PSX to work properly with the analog sticks on my Dual Shock 3. I’ve set the device type to DualShock and Analog Toggle to off, when I load it says the sticks are on, but when I try to use them the directions are completely scrambled on both of them making them completely unusable. I can’t figure out if there’s anything wrong with my settings, I’ve tried deleting all cfg files but that didn’t help. The sticks work just fine when running Mupen64Plus. I’m running Retroarch on OS X El Capitan.

On a semi unrelated note, since I just recently updated to 1.3.4 I’ve been trying to change the button configuration for the menu, that is, the following values:

menu_ok_btn = "8"
menu_cancel_btn = "0"
menu_search_btn = "9"
menu_info_btn = "2"
menu_default_btn = "3"
menu_scroll_down_btn = "11"
menu_scroll_up_btn = "10"

But every time I load up Retroarch it insists on changing everything back. I can’t recall having this issue in the previous versions. Am I missing something here?

Edit: I’ve solved the second problem, I just had to disable “Load Override Files Automatically”. Analog controls in Mednafen PSX is still completely unusable though, and this goes for both sticks.