Android TV - Possible to manually rotate menus to vertical setup?

First off, apologies if this has been asked before, as the only other topics on the matter have been dormant for some years and I was reluctant to bump those. I was wondering if any progress has been made on the matter.

I have a (2015) Nvidia Shield TV that I use in conjunction with a vertically orientated monitor as a dedicated tate setup for Retroarch purposes. It works great, outside of one area: fumbling with the menus (XMB) which are still presented horizontally. Rotating video for games works flawlessly, I just wish there were a way to rotate Retroarch menus as well.

Sure it’s certainly not unusable in it’s current state, but if anyone uses a similar setup and has found a good solution, it would certainly make using this vertical setup with a Shield TV easier.

Apologies for bumping an old topic of mine, I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar situation and found a workaround for it:

Android TV device (Nvidia Shield), trying to get RA menus and UI to display in vertical mode (in XMB, but I’ll switch to any menu driver if there’s a way to force it into a vertical display).

There should be a setting in settings > video called “screen orientation” that should do it. It should be exposed on Windows, Android and Linux/X11.

Thanks for the help!

However, unfortunately, all that setting seems to do (at least on Android TV) is present RA in a portrait aspect ratio, but still nonetheless in landscape format, like so:

I was hoping to rotate the menu/UI into something full screen yet rotated 90 degrees to match a rotated display, for a TATE setup.

Thanks again!

Hello. I try to do the same. Keep me updated.