Antialiasing in mupen64plus core?

Is there any way to get proper antialiasing in the mupen64plus core in 1.0.0.2? I’ve already tried:

Increasing the resolution in the core options and letting it downscale - Produces horrible uneven blurriness in text despite being in integer scales. Probably due to poor rendering, causing non-integer scaled text in higher resolutions, which is expected. every hle plugin i’ve ever seen has this problem when rendering in higher resolutions, regardless of what emulator i try.

Editing the configs in /system - RetroArch apparently doesn’t use the mupen64plus or video plugin configs there, as changing options does nothing.

I tried forcing it in video card’s settings, but that only AA’s the final output to the screen, which then becomes a blurry mess.

Force-feeding SMAA/FXAA through RadeonPro - No effects are applied. In fact, RetroArch ignores everything other than the OSD.

D3D driver/SweetFX is not an option on this PC, as d3d driver on its own crashes instantly on startup, even with a freshly downloaded copy of 1.0.0.2.

I also tried various antialiasing and softening shaders to no avail: advanced-aa looks like garbage fxaa just darkens the screen slightly and has no other effect. If I could get this shader to work properly, I’d go with it since its halfway decent at removing jaggies. various blur/softening shaders - most are horribly blurry, but this doesn’t really help with jaggies at all.

If it matters at all: I’m on Windows 8 (not 8.1, as its known to screw up other programs I use regularly), x64 GPU is AMD Radeon HD 7640G, CPU is AMD A8-4500M APU. Video drivers are the latest non-beta drivers available. I updated shaders folder to a fresh copy of the common-shaders repo. Also, I run RetroArch in native 320x240@120Hz (no doublescan) on an old crt monitor.

I’m pretty sure this is why the shaders aren’t really doing much for you. You could try using maister’s NTSC shader, but that would probably be messier/blurrier than you’re shooting for.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s much to be done at native res. N64 was simply a jaggy mess that relied on composite signal degradation to smear everything together.

It’s also worth noting that like everything since that generation, the N64 is variable-resolution. While 320*240 is relatively common, it isn’t “native” any more than a billion other resolutions are. That could be contributing to your jaggy problem since there’s a high probability you’re running games at something other than their native res.

I’m pretty sure this is why the shaders aren’t really doing much for you. You could try using maister’s NTSC shader, but that would probably be messier/blurrier than you’re shooting for.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s much to be done at native res. N64 was simply a jaggy mess that relied on composite signal degradation to smear everything together.[/quote]

Actually the N64 did have a filter that smoothed the image and can look somewhat like AA. Only the most precise (super slow) software renderer plugins can duplicate it as far as i know…

The closest we can get at full speed in PC is using Anti-aliasing, but as Questwizard mentioned, we don’t have many options in RetroArch. I think advanced-aa looked pretty good but for some reason it only worked on the right half of the screen when I tried it in my PC :confused: