Any chance we'll see improved hotkey features?

The hotkey idea is great, but seems like it was left incomplete.

1. It’s limited to only certain functions
  2. It’s all or nothing. Can’t just have the modifier for some functions and not for others

Would be nice to simply move the hotkey option to the keymapping section where you simply supply a "^"or something when you want that key to operate in “shifted” mode

input_player1_start = "5"
input_player2_start = "6"
input_exit_emulator = "^5"

additionally, allow any keymapping to be any combination of keys

input_player1_start = "5"
input_player2_start = "6"
input_exit_emulator = "5+6"
input_volume_up = "^x"
input_volume_down = "^z"

It shouldn’t be limited to certain functions and definitely should not be All on or All off. To keep things simple for guests and kids, I setup a dedicated Exit button… but for things like save and load… I’d like a modifier so it doesn’t get hit by accident. Ultimately I’d like a certain hidden key combination to allow these, not limited to a modifier key.

This is currently one of the biggest limitations with RetroArch at the moment. Right idea, limited implementation.

Also, I’m not positive, but I don’t think you can map joystick buttons to dedicated hotkey functions when NOT using the modifier. I could never get it to work. So while i can disable the hotkey modifier and set

input_enable_hotkey = "nul"
input_exit_emulator = "escape"

I don’t think I could do a dedicated joystick button:

input_enable_hotkey = "nul"
input_enable_hotkey_btn = "nul"
input_exit_emulator_btn = "7"

But I will try again.

Well it is limited… All or none is not a good idea. Why should i be forced to have a modifier for exit and reset if I only want a modifier for save and load or vol up/down? At the very least it needs to be enabled “per hotkey”. And its actually less work to simply have a checkbox next to the keymap that says “shifted?” to determine if the specific function should work on keypress or modifier+keypress.

I don’t think I could do a dedicated joystick button:

input_enable_hotkey = “nul” input_enable_hotkey_btn = “nul” input_exit_emulator_btn = “7” But I will try again.

(these markdown tools suck btw)

Anyway… I was able to test and yes you are right it does work with joystick encoders for dedicated buttons. So at least that’s great news… I have options now to switch to $9(x2) ZD encoders instead of $30 xarcade encoders and still get the same results.