Any idea why RA crashes immediately when I try to SCAN a ROM folder?

I am unable to add a rom directory since retro arch crashes the instant I select a folder for it to scan. I originally thought it was because too many files were in the folder. So I grabbed a hundred and put them in their own folder. Tried that, still crashed immediately. What could cause this?

Windows 10, retro 1.3.2

edit: it may be worth noting that regardless of what folder I am in, RA says there are no files. Meaning if I browse to my rom folder, it says there nothing in it. The files are 7z. I tried extracting a rom and placing it in the folder, still says no files are present.

Try going to the option Menu file browser in settings and turn the filter off. That should fix the issue of retroarch not seeing your files.

I just completely deleted retroarch… and downloaded it again… except this time when I opened it it looked like a completely different program… I am kind of confused. Did I maybe somehow have an old version? I don’t think I did… but… its working now so… ok.

The first one I downloaded looked like it was built on an 8bit engine, this one looks like its using playstation xmb

that’s just a different menu (think: theme).

I don’t think scanning works with 7z archives.

yep… I see that. I extracted all the files… any way to get RetroArch to scan subfolders? Everything is setup like Rom > snes > game 1 folder, game 2 folder, game 3 folder, etc…

the built-in scanning isn’t recursive, no. You can try one of the separate playlist utilities, though, like retroinvader (there’s a thread about it in this subforum). The other option is to use 7-zip’s “extract here” functionality from the right-click context menu.