Anyone get Atari 5200 working under RetroArch?

I will look at this latet. For now f4,f1 ect can be hit by virtualkbd (be sure to change control to atari joystick in ra menu) For the seconf button i know and will look at when possible.

So many posts I could reply to but, here we go. I re-downloaded the version last night and re-applied it. Started the atari800 to kick off a game, set my BIOS directory and saved it.

Tried to run QIX. Worked fine and loaded first time ! AWESOME, then the controller thing. I have a Xbox 360 controller that I use all through out RetroArch and hitting every button did nothing. I hit F4 on a keyboard and the game started. Every console I have setup uses the START button on the controller to start a game.

There is 2 options in this game with 2 buttons, there is slow method and the fast method of drawing the line (of course slower gets more points), this will only do the FAST. As said above, no 2nd button that is needed for a lot of games including Moon Patrol.

Every other rom I tried did not work, just ended up on a black screen. Maybe I need to just update the roms (?)but, needing to hit F4 and no 2nd button is a big deal here. As someone else said, MoonPatrol is a worthless game with out a 2nd button. This will effect a large amount of games.

Thanks for the efforts here.

Here is the RetroPI project from above

Can the source be used here, it would be nice to have 2 controller buttons (and maybe the START button)

This is a port of Atari800 with focus on emulating Atarin 5200 that adds:

• Full Joystick support for RetroPie
  • Autoconfiguration of buttons using Retroarch configuration
  • Menu navigation using joystick
  • Joystick Button configuration: trigger1, trigger 2 (Moon Patrol and H.E.R.O.!), asterisk and hash.
  • Supports hat and axis for joysticks
  • Use second analog stick in first as second player stick: Robotron and Space Dungeon!!! (configurable axis)
  • Ability to define joysticks numbers

Iā€™ll admit that is a COOL feature. (using dual sticks) but, this looks like a match for a Retro Core, I wonder if this was compiled for RetroArch someplace. Might be worth a shot to check out.

I add a commit to support 2nd button , moonpatrol and choplifter works fine. no time to do a win build .

1 Like

thanks. @GemaH here you go, latest update:

*Commit 57f47cc - try add a5200 second button

Thanks guys, second button works now.

2nd button does work now. Thanks. Now if we can get the START button on the joystick to start a game instead of F4. It would be great.

And itā€™s about finding the EXACT names needed to play, as QIX is the only that plays for me. I would bet itā€™s my roms but, changing a rom means dealing with the meta data is well and itā€™s kind of a pain.

All the roms i tried to load so far work for me except Ballblazer which i assume is just a compatibility issue. The name files of the roms i have use the hyperspin.xml conversion. I donā€™t think it matters though, maybe itā€™s the data of your roms thatā€™s the issue here?

Also, i found an odd ROM in mine too. Robotron starts with pressing the fire button instead of F4 but ingame the controls donā€™t work.

hmmā€¦ Ballblazer works, but, it does show black screen upon loading. you nid to press button1(or attack) for the game to load.

for berzerk-there is nothing wrong with the rom. uses F4 to start and controls work.

probably you just have bad roms?

Oh sorry, it wasnā€™t Berzerk, it was Robotron that has this problem.

I always confuse those two games for some reason : /

Edit: I tried both no-intro and goodset Robotron Rom. The buttons still donā€™t work i think, unless you canā€™t shoot in the game for some reason?

][quote=ā€œGemaH, post:87, topic:9194, full:trueā€]

All the roms i tried to load so far work for me except Ballblazer which i assume is just a compatibility issue. The name files of the roms i have use the hyperspin.xml conversion. I donā€™t think it matters though, maybe itā€™s the data of your roms thatā€™s the issue here?

Also, i found an odd ROM in mine too. Berzerk starts with pressing the fire button instead of F4 but ingame the controls donā€™t work. [/quote]

Interesting. I have good roms, as I know I tried them in a 3rd party emulator (just loaded them and confirmed they started correctly).

They are named accordingly (some examples) Kangaroo (1982) (Atari).bin Star Wars - The Arcade Game (1983) (Parker Bros).bin Millipede (1984) (Atari).a52 Adventure 2 Demo (2002) (Ron Lloyd).bin (BTW: I heard there was a final of this game out there, if anyone has itā€¦)

These did play in mess_libretro.dll with issues (video issues, lockups etc) but, did play.

Clicking on them, to run, with this, will cause a black screen. Maybe @R-type is using GoodSets 2.01 only ?

Dunno, all the roms i have are .a52, not .bin.

They are either goodset roms or no-intro

Oh Robotron? 2084 something right? this games works(or at least loads) and direction controls work though i am not entirely sure if the game has function for button1/2 as i only move around to get the guys and then watch myself die because the enemies suddenly moves fast :smiley:

probably one of those games that need special key remaps.

@DavidinCT - i am not entirely sure but autodetect of 5200 seems to be based on .bin extension, not sure if allows or ignores extension. can you try to look at debug and check how the roms are detected durin loading? it should look something like this:

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s weird. I tried MESS and KAT5200 and they have the same behavior with this game.

Robotron 2084 required a bracket for the Atari 5200 that took both controllers so one player could use one stick for moving and one stick for firing.

This would be tricky, the jfroco/atari800-rpi I put up before has a driver for it and will work with both sticks on a single controllerā€¦

Iā€™ll admit that would be freaking cool

This is what it looked like, both controllers slid into it, You will have problems playing a few games due to this, according to Atari ageā€¦Robotron 2084 and Space Dungeon came with this adapter.

Updated picture with a controller in it so people who have never saw it, would understand what I meanā€¦

Yes robotron need special control.i will look at later. For the bin you have to enable option in qiick menu. Else the load is not based on crc. It s for atari800 bin support that i donā€™t force the crc stuff. But you can enable it if you load only a5200 bin.

1 Like

Just wanted to say, good job so far guys. Once the F4 key issue is fixed, this will become the default 5200 core for everyone. And it should be added to the core updater list as well. The Atari 5200 RetroArch gap is finally filled with something good.

just push commit to bind A5200 F4 to button START. I also need to seriously cleanup this core (when i look at the code one year later I found many ref of c64 core :slight_smile: ) for ballblazer ,the correct crc is found wtih Ballblazer (1984) (Atari-Lucasfilm Games) [a1]

1 Like

I am using Atari 5200 (Good5200 v2.01) where these roms come from, I am assuming that is where you were coming from. more than 1/2 of the roms in that set are BIN, not a52. Where do I set them to accept bin ?

And as the games that would not work, one of the examples I tried was Jr Pac-Man (1984) (Atari).a52 and this was a a52 file. Out of the 20 games I have in my 5200 folder, 4 of them are bin. Is it not auto-detecting the file type ?

And for the record robotron 2084 did not need a SPEICAL controller, it used the sticks from player 1 and 2.

Think Smash TV, used something like this in the arcade 2 sticks., same thing (smash tv was a fun game)

Oddā€¦ I also have the Good5200 2.01 set and all the roms are .a52.

Jr Pac-Man (1984) (Atari) [a1].bin is the correct crc that match.

For the bin , 2 choices, rename the bin to a52 then it will detect the crc or go to retroarch quick menu option and toggle the Autodetec A5200 cart type to on (but i will lead you to problem if you use this core also for loading atari800 bin, safe if only A5200 bin use)

1 Like