Anyone have an older version of Genesis Plus GX?

I need a copy of Genesis Plus GX from May 2017 prior to version 1.7.4. Does anyone happen to have a copy they can share?

what for?

/20 characters…

I have a save state 20 hours into Lunar 2 that isn’t compatible with the current version.

I found an old topic asking for the same thing, but unfortunately the provided link is no longer live.

1 Like

Hey man, try the ones posted by hunterk in this topic:

They were created for a different situation, but might be of help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it looks like I need an even older one–older than 1.7.4, at any rate. I’m not sure what version I was using when I was playing the game.

youll need to compile it yourself then…

1 Like

I might have core builds from late 2016 - early 2017 laying around on some emulation discs I made back then.

I can’t promise anything but if it’s from that period you need I will try to find those discs and post the cores here.

That at least sounds like the correct period …

it shouldnt be that hard to “git clone”, "git checkout " then “make” when you have in msys2… unless your on dial-up internet connection…

prior to version 1.7.4

That would be around mid-2013, as 1.7.4 was released in June 2013 according to a GBAtemp release thread.

The savestate version was last bumped in October 2013, from 1.7.1 to 1.7.5

I made a 64-bit Windows build of the parent commit (a777f6c). Since there have been no ABI breaks in libretro, this build should still work on the current RetroArch version.

1 Like

Thanks a lot.

Unfortunately, RetroArch still crashes when I try to load the save. Perhaps it is simply corrupted. For more information, here is where I was told it was likely a version incompatibility problem.

Oh, well.

Whats the error verbose in the log?

The verbose log (set to “info” level) doesn’t show an error. It says it’s loading the state, shows the state size, says it’s saving state to RAM, shows the state size again, and crashes.

Got it. I will try to find an earlier version and let you know. You are sure you were using the GX core and not another Sega one right?

Yes, I’m certain. I have RetroArch set to sort states into folders by cores, and that’s the folder the state is in.

Four things I’ll note in case they’re relevant:

1. I only started using RetroArch in early 2017 (v1.5.0; earliest GPGX file I have is from April), so wouldn’t my GPGX core be from that era, too? I used the standard Win64 archive from libretro.com.
  2. I use the auto-index feature for save states.
  3. After further testing, that 1.7.3 core had its own problems. It would crash RetroArch any time I tried to load a savestate, even one created with that core.
  4. I just opened my Lunar state.auto file in Notepad++, and the first thing it says is “GENPLUS-GX 1.7.5ùA” (followed by a megabyte of unprintable data; I suspect the “ùA” is also gibberish, but I left it just in case).

Thanks again for all your help.

Do you mind posting your save state? I would like to do some tests with it.

Seems like my old discs must have been permanently archived in the bin or have been lost in my last move I made which is most unfortunate.

I’m gonna look one more time in some plastic bags I have in the closet, if there is some jewel cases with Verbatim DVD discs in them we’re on the right track and might be lucky.

All I can give you at the moment is a WebArchive link to a build from October 2017 which I doubt will help you much but I’ll report back tomorrow!

Sure thing. Here’s the file.

Thanks for looking. Yeah, I already have a core from October, and it still crashes with it :frowning:

2017-04-19 seems to be the earliest from last year I could find, would this be of interest to you @tiltowait?