Anyone here with Samsung Galaxy S8 / Note 8? Could you test one game?

I’m still wondering if we have enough power nowadays in our android phones for the Cave CV1000 shmups ( Mushihimesama, Espgaluda 2, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu, all emulated in Mame 2014 or 2016)

I know no one that owns an S8 or Note 8, and recently I tested the games on my friend’s S7 and they are still not full speed (around 40 - 45 frames out of 60), so i’m asking if someone could make a quick test out of any of those titles on the latest Samsung device.

It’s not the same device, but those games are not full speed on my Shield ATV, if that helps.

What is the speed you get, if i may ask. Are you almost full speed…or…?

Note8/S8 seem to be even faster than Shield (around 30%), at least in benchmarks (antutu) so maybe it’s the boost needed for full speed in those particular games.

IIRC, they’re not terribly far off, maybe around 45 fps. So, a 30% bump could be enough, but it’ll likely be close.

Thanks bro.

Still, if anyone has the means to test and post some definitive results, it’d be great!

edit: tried Mushihimesama (mame 2014) on a client’s S8 for a couple of minutes. Everything is perfectly smooth for the first minute (60 fps), then framerate starts to dip in the early 50s, with sound choppiness and all that.

Thermal throttling couldn’t have activated so quickly so…I think S8 may have a very agressive cpu management, where it immediately scales down the frequency to preserve battery (or power saving was ON, which i didn’t check unfortunately). Another possibility (which i observed on my phones along the years) is that Retroarch really loves the performance governor or a CPU clock setting that has the minimum the same or very close to the maximum, which makes it much smoother than letting it choose on the fly.

Overall there’s a big possibility that a rooted S8 would handle these games perfectly smooth.