Anyone using the Steam beta with DS4 support?

Hello,

I just updated to one of the more recent betas of Steam, and it added native support for the DS4. Which is absolutely great for Steam games.

Problem is, now when Steam is on, whatever drivers they use to add DS4 support is what the controller finds. In other words, it defaults to the Steam driver over DS4windows even.

This wouldn’t be an issue, but it seems that because of this Retroarch no longer recognizes the DS4, at least for me.

Is anyone else having this problem? It doesn’t seem to be using Xinput.

Edit: Before anyone asks, I’m not even running Retroarch through Steam. Steam is just on, and it takes control of the DS4 now.

if you only use the ds4 controller for retroarch and steam you can ditch the hacky way and uninstall ds4windows. Retroarch should support the ds4 naively via direct input. If you’re using the sony adapter instead of Bluetooth it may be a different story, not sure.

I accidentally deleted my response when I tried to fix a spelling error on the mobile version of this site so ill try one more time :slight_smile:

If you only use the ds4 controller for retroarch and steam you should be able to stop using the ds4 the hacky way (ds4windows or input wrapper) because when you connect ds4 via Bluetooth it uses direct input native. Not using a program to change the ds4 controller to xinput should allow retroarch to use it even when steam is open. Now this may not work if you are using the sony ds4 adapter instead of normal Bluetooth but I am not sure.

Edit by Lex: Hi, Tacos. I found your deleted post. I’ve restored it so you can access its contents. Feel free to use its contents and/or delete it again if you want.

I’m not actually using DS4windows anymore.

And whatever drivers steam is using, I don’t think it’s direct input either. In steam you can change the color on the light of the DS4, and do some other customizing. So I noticed, when I turn on my DS4, even when steam is minimized, as long as it’s on, my controller is still lit up as if it was being used by steam. That’s when I I realized that as long as steam is on, the DS4 now uses its drivers instead direct input/xinput. I think anyway, I’m not really sure. All I know is that retroarch doesn’t even recognize a controller is plugged in.

Good to know, zimbabwe. I have a PS4 controller. I’ll be wary of Steam updates and be ready to check this if RA suddenly can’t use my PS4 controller.

Funny enough, someone else brought this up over on reddit. It has a solution, but it’s not optimal, imo.