Arcade Controls

I have everything setup other than the controls. As far as I can tell I have tried every config I can think of. I can not get them to work. I have hyperspin/rocketlauncher setup with retroarch and everything there works like it is suppose to. Went into retroarch under core loaded the genesis plus gx core, went to settings input (I have tried all kinds of different options but this is the last thing I tried) device mode - retropad user 1 device type - retropad user 1 analog to digital - none user 1 index - THT Arcade Console 2 P USB Player <-------- This was selected automatically I hit bind all and set all my controls I then go back and save config and exit The controls don’t work in hyperspin or retroarch

I am running hyperspin 1.4 with rocketlauncher trying to get sega genesis going It’s a 2 player arcade setup Each person has a joystick (has 4 switches - up, down, left, right) with 6 buttons and a start and also a select button

I have never used retroarch or any other emulator for that matter, So please be patient with me. Vary new to this stuff.
I do have mame up and running… Finally Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Does the arcade console act like a pair of gamepads or a keyboard? I know a lot of arcade controls act as keyboards, and for those, you’ll need to change the device mode to retrokeyboard. You may also find that the default binds conflict with some of RetroArch’s keyboard shortcuts, so you may need to either bind and enable the ‘hotkey’ or go into the retroarch.cfg and change a bunch of functions to ‘nul’

I tried the retrokeyboard and when I choose to bind it doesn’t recognize any functions

Ok, if you open up notepad or whatever and then hit a bunch of buttons on the controls, does it write out letters? If not, it’s probably acting like a joystick, which is fine. In that case, you’ll leave the device type on retropad. Also, make sure you have ‘autoconfig’ enabled before you bind your buttons.

So, once you bound your buttons before, did they stop working in Hyperspin when they had worked before? If so, there’s probably something else going on, as RetroArch and Hyperspin don’t communicate in any way, other than Hyperspin passing a CLI launch command to RetroArch.

I tried the notepad thing and it is not typing any letters or anything. I know that hyperspin and retroarch are there own program. What I’m saying about hyperspin is everything there is working right up until the saga game launches then I loose controls. It’s got to be in retroarch.

Do the binds work in-game if you don’t exit and restart first? As in, if you set everything up and just go right back into the game?

What I did this last time was I deleted the whole retroarch folder and extracted my a new retroarch to hyperspin / emulators / retroarch folder. Opened retroarch and loaded genesis_plus_gx under core. Went in to settings / input and left everything the way it was (it already said retropad under device mode) except bind all. Hit bind all set all my controls. Used z to exit until I get to the screen that lets choose “save new config” save it. Exit out open. Open a game and have no controls. Start hyperspin and all my controls work until a sega game opens and then I have no controls.I know hyperspin has it’s own control setup by using a script. That all works it’s just retroarch sittings that do not.

Ok, I think your issue is that you’re saving a new config but then not pointing to it when you launch from hyperspin. By default, your settings get written to the regular retroarch.cfg. If you save a new config, it makes a new cfg in your cfg directory (whatever it’s set to in your paths/directory settings). To use that new config, you would need to add to your hyperspin’s launch command:

-c /path/to/newconfig.cfg

If I launch retroarch right from it’s own folder it don’t work either