Are recorded soundfonts legal? What about ripped ones? Discuss!

Because you accuse me of sharing pirated material in the forum, which is not the case.

Btw, what are you doing in an emulation forum anyway? Emulation must also be piracy by your own logic so why are you here? Go pester the people on IGN forums or something.

As for the Vogons forum, i’m pretty sure i tried a lot of similar “SC-55” soundfonts posted there.

Don’t opine for my idiot.

A mod can delete my link if that’s the case then. So feel free to report it. I’m not going to remove it myself because i don’t think you are right.

Vogons themselves distribute a ripped SC-55 ROM-based soundfont. It even has the Roland copyright in the file.

https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=500&menustate=0

1 Like

@RealNC Hmm, it seems like this is the exact same file i uploaded. It has a different date but the same exact size. Can you confirm it has the same files?

Maybe that’s the file GZdoom used back in 2017-ish? Later versions have different file sizes so they can’t be the same.

Either way if it’s also shared on VOGONs then my file should be clean. Even @alexb3d says so.

The title and description say:

Ah! the file has the copyrigh! wow. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll report it.

More than 11 years ago, vogon people formally asked Roland to release the MT-32 sources, and use them for emulation. The answer was a resounding NO. There has been no more talk about this.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of them, I even make mixes of what I like.

They say it as if they want to surprise me, “oh! I am a revelde!”.

Not counting the other arcade, and those of “myrient”.

I am responsible for what I do.Everyone can do what they want, but piracy issues can have legal consequences. DOSBox and MAME take it very seriously.

The difference between being clever and being stupid is very small.

I’ll report back later. How long do you think that’s going to last in there?

It was uploaded in 2013 so 10+ years so far?

But wait, so now VOGONs is not the highly and mighty resource you told me about a few posts ago?

Anyway, i hope you manage to take it down. Make sure you pester and whine as you do here, they will definitely remove it that way. I’m sure someone will be pleased with you. At least 4 people i would bet.

@GemaH Do you know how to do more than this?

You are a sad man.

Keep it cordial, guys. No need to insult each other.

IANAL, but I do own/play synthesizers, and making (and then trading/distributing and sometimes even selling) samples of synths to then play back on samplers is indeed very common. OTOH, Roland has been pretty keen on clamping down on distribution of the actual ripped ROMs for MT-32, just like gaming ROMs.

Re: Behringer’s clones, most of this is handled by patent law rather than copyright. Roland has hassled them over getting too close in their “look and feel”, like their RD-8 mkII having to change the color of some of the buttons because Roland’s making a brand out of the 808 colors (i.e., trademark protection), but not by claiming ownership of the sounds (or even the circuits) themselves.

Likewise, since Moog’s Mother32 and DFAM synths are not covered by any patents (they’re just the same stuff Moog’s been making for 40 years in a different box), Uli’s been able to clone them legally–under the names Crave and Edge, respectively–while they’re still being manufactured and sold (ditto for Big B’s much-maligned “Swing” MIDI controller; even though the clone is brazen and “immoral”, Arturia’s Keystep didn’t actually innovate in any way that’s protected by law).

So, tl;dr, sound-alike SoundFonts (even ones that are just a straight-up audio-out-to-audio-in recording) should be fair game, while bit-for-bit rips are probably not. Again, IANAL and none of this should be construed as legal advice.

2 Likes

I am not an expert either, nor do I want to be. I have as much esteem for lawyers as I do for mechanics.

There are many reasons to sue, but the main one is, if it has economic benefit. Besides, you have to take into account that in ancient times there were not many things clear and globalization was not as effective as it is now.
And without going into detail of the countries that are pirate factories and proceeding with lawsuits is impossible.

In the case of Roland, the little I could find out, is that the MT-32 does not have a clear license and can be “taken” without permission, but at the same time no, because the sources were included in the ROM of the SC-55 and this one does have a very solid and clear license.
This has a “collateral damage”, even if Roland wants to make the MT-32 fonts public, he can’t, because he has to change the license of the SC-55 and other derivative products, this may not be convenient or he doesn’t want to do it.

The author is the owner of the work and has rights. This right can be transferred, but the author will always be the same.
What changes is the license of use, it is what clarifies how and for what it is going to be used…

The license of these products allows you to make “derivative works” (or something like that). You can make music, you can make other samples, give them away or sell them.

What you can’t do is to rip the sources, or record the identical sound externally.

In the case of the digital ones it is easy to recognize.

But it is also possible to recognize the recorded ones, an audio file is a fingerprint and some have sound keys deeply hidden in case of theft.

The only way to record the fonts and market them legally is to distort them so much that they look like a “derivative work” (or something like that).

Please, I’m not against it, I am very altruistic…

But if someone posts the fonts of SoundCanvas and I say, that’s copyrighted, you can’t reply, “it’s the same name, but it’s not the same”, in an adult conversation you can’t talk like that.

Now, this “save the sources” thing can become a parable… I will share an image of the brave browser. :thinking:

P.S.:
By the way, the first thing I was going to tell you is that it is very interesting that I make music, in RetroArch there are people to make a videogame :smiley:
If you are a musician with a trained ear, just listening to the sources, you can tell if it is the original SC-55 or an imitation.

You simply misinterpreted what i wrote.

I said i don’t know how a real SC-55 sounds because i don’t have one. I also said i tried a lot of soundfonts labeled as “SC-55” and they all sound different. That’s why i said i’m not sure if the one i’m posting is the same as the original, whatever the original/default is.

This particular one that i posted just sounds very similar to “Microsoft GS wavetable” that i use in DOOM and Duke Nukem so it’s familiar to me. It also agrees with some youtube soundtracks. That’s all.

This particular file is shared freely in public forums and/or an older version of GZdoom (later versions seem to have alterations made for recent Megawads). I didn’t find it on a torrent or a closed group or anything so you can imagine how it sounds to me when you say that i’m sharing pirated content. If it’s pirated then it should be eliminated from all those places, if they don’t then i’m going to listen to them instead of a random person in a random forum. If you still think this is unacceptable you can ask a mod to delete my link.

There are valuable people in this forum. Respect them.

The perfect emulator now exist. Still needs the roms though.

1 Like