Aspect ratio not respected

I have a 16:9 LCD monitor.

Despite me setting a custom aspect ratio of about 4:3 (that also happens with the built-in 4:3 one, and with the core provided as well) the image on the screen is still shown with a 16:9 proportion.

Apologies for the ugly picture. image

Thank you for any pointers you may give to help me figure out what is going on here.

Is the game stretched, too? Which video driver are you using and on what device?

Thank you very much for your reply. The game is stretched, too.

The device is a “Pandora’s box”, with a “SG.GME.R3.95H5A/TW” board (it is running an Allwinner A13 SOC)

The video driver used is “gl”. Thanks,

Oh, 1.7.5… That’s super-old. I don’t recall that being a problem back then, but it’s been several years since that version was released.

I guess you could try a different video driver and see if that does anything, or see if the device itself is somehow stretching :man_shrugging: If you have a 4:3 res/AR set, it should be 4:3.

I’m trying to adjust for a similar issue. I have a TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio but the resolution it accepts is 1024x768. Not sure how I’d even go about this. The Aspect Ratio option does something different, apparently?

Usually, TVs have their own aspect ratio controls, so you could adjust to 4:3 there if for some reason the TV doesn’t output native 16:9.

Unfortunately, this TV does not have such. Especially given how systems like NES also have non-square pixels, the ideal engineering seems to me to do both corrections in a single pass, which is liable to cause the least distortion. That’s what I was hoping for. Doesn’t appear to be possible, though, from what I read on the forum here. Alas.