Assistance Needed with Dolphin Core

Retroarch crashes as soon as I attempt to load a game with the Dolphin core. I already have the Dolphin “Sys” folder inside RetroArch>system>dolphin-emu.

Here’s a little background. Up until recently, it was working fine. My original build is on my PC, which is then uploaded to my Google Drive. (I didn’t want to risk having a hard drive failure and be forced to start from scratch some day) I recently purchased a gaming laptop, and I would like to be able to switch between both computers and pick up where I left off, in regards to game progress, reorganizing, etc… That being said, I suspect my problem has something to do with “hard” paths rather than relative paths.

Here’s my verbose log.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/radio5/4cfa2446b9f3c7b987f051ff91943b65/raw/47f95a865f784dc2065001cb3877155bab1cc2c2/retroarch.log

One thing that was bugging me this weekend was that games were loading to a black screen in one of my installations.

I tried almost everything to troubleshoot it - reset core configs, core-options, reinstalled the sys folders, redownloaded the core (to the version available yesterday - 20th), altered threaded video/hardware shared context, nothing.

Then I decided to copy an older version of the core, from august, now it resumed to run normally.

1 Like

Thanks! Where can I find older core versions?

Well, I’ll be damned. I just tried updating the core and it suddenly works again. Problem solved!

2 Likes

Indeed, something broke in the weekend builds, but it was fixed. The build from Oct 21st fixed the black screen bug.

I have another question. I recently purchased an Acer Nitro 5 (modest) gaming laptop. Its’ been great so far, except for the performance of Super Mario Sunshine using the Dolphin core. I’m getting around 5fps or so. It’s unplayable. Here are my specs:

Intel i5-9300H @ 2.40Ghz (up to 4.10 single core), 16.0 RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

Am I simply asking too much of this little machine, or are there some settings I can try?

as far as I know, it should run without much trouble.

Try setting the resolution - EFB Scale - to 1x (640x528) Beyond that: Confirm if the following is activated: Hardware renderer, Fastmem, DSP HLE, JIT64 CPU Core.

Latest dolphin core crashes for everyone or it’s only me?

I’m using Windows 7 64bit.

1 Like

I updated retroarch to the 1.8 today and all my gamecube/dolphins games crash … im using Windows10 64 bits.

I updated today and it seems to be working okay. (well, Super Mario Sunshine is still excruciatingly slow and unplayable on this laptop, but it actually loads and everything) But, I also updated everything I could in the online updater menu.

Btw, @TrueMotion, I checked all of the settings you suggested, and they were already set that way. I ended up using the standalone Dolphin emulator and everything is buttery-smooth. Until the core gets a bit more optimized, that’s the way I’m going to have to run it on this laptop. Thanks for the help, though!

1.8 is crashing for me also now for gc games (win10 64). Worked fine in last release with same core/config.

1 Like

@GemaH @simion

Edit : I finally fixed by myself.

settings : user interface = show advanced settings = ON

then …

settings / core = allow cores to switch the video drivers : OFF

I hope it will fix to you