Atari Box Arts

A while back I posted some stuff for Jaguar, that link is no longer valid. I’ve updated all the artwork that I originally posted. All the images are a uniform size and consistent quality. If you downloaded the old stuff you might want to get this instead.

This includes 2D box fronts, 2D box backs, and 3D box fronts for 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, and Lynx. The images, for the most part, as you scroll through your games, all the logos will line up (e.g. no dancing left/right/up/down 1 or two pixels.

Most of this stuff isn’t my work. I’ve just filled in the blanks for missing stuff. The box backs were my contribution… but basically all I did was take a collection of full boxes (where they had the front, side, and backs next to each other), and cropped out the backs to be a uniform size.

Also you will find that I have renamed unlicensed games to begin with ~Unl - “Game Name”, and I’ve also done the same thing for prototypes and European games. The reason I did this with my setup, is so that all the American releases would be alphabetized, then all the stuff I don’t really care about is still there, but will automatically auto-sort to the end of the list.

If you don’t like that, I’d direct you to use “Bulk Rename Utility,” and it will take you all of 2 minutes to rename them all back to the original filenames.

There are 640+ 2600 boxes, and as far as I know, all of the American games in the No Intro sets for 5200, 7800, Jaguar, and Lynx are complete, for all 3 styles of box art. In some systems/box art styles, there are plenty of boxes for the unlicensed + prototypes and whatnot also.

Anyways, here’s the link.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2euqwnknbgi8u98/Atari.zip

I’ve been editing Atari 2600 box arts and making them 256x360 PNG. I’ll let you know if I have any box art that’s missing from this. Thanks!

/-/ound…

Nice work on these sets! I wanted to mention that work is also beginning on an official thumbnail set for the Atari 2600. This thread is one of the places I’ve flagged as a potential source for thumbnails – I’m going to study your work Typon and see if there’s way I can learn from it. :slight_smile: If you’re interested in the attempt to create an official set, there is a github thread: https://github.com/libretro/libretro-thumbnails/issues/184

Glad I could help out.

So the reason I renamed the unlicensed games, prototypes, and Euro games, is that with the sources I was using, I found that I consistently had or nearly had all of the images I needed to complete 2D fronts and 3D fronts. When you have a playlist with a No Intro set, it’s nice to be able to scroll through all the American releases, no matter which image you have selected (using the retropad Y button to switch between them), and not have any gaps.

Then, since I still had a number of these other games, I just renamed all my ROMs to begin with ~Unl or ~Proto, and they match up with the names of the thumbnails, and still appear in RetroArch at the end of the playlist.

For the most part I don’t care about unlicensed games, European games, and prototypes. But doing things this way, they are still in the playlist, and autosorted at the very end.

Oh, I also don’t use RetroArch’s databases. I use Shifty’s playlist batch file to make playlists out of the actual file names.

I also found a forum (https://gbatemp.net/threads/cover-collections-for-emulators-with-cover-support.324714/) where they had massive collections of full boxes (front, side, and back) for some other front end that I have no intention of ever using. But, after studying the images for a bit in photoshop, it was easy enough to figure out exactly what size the backs needed to be cropped to, in order to make a set of box backs.

I got pretty good at that. Keyboard shortcuts are your friend in photoshop when you need to mass crop images. I averaged about 5 a minute.

I was planning on doing Nintendo and SNES, but I’ve moved on to HyperSpin and am currently working on that. I may come back and do some more work for RetroArch at some point.

HyperSpin is awesome but sometimes you just want an interface without all the bells and whistles, and that is where RetroArch shines.

Typhon: I’ve edited a few of the 2D Atari boxes; They’re 500x680 PNG. Some of the Activision ones include Fishing Derby, Skiing, Sky Jinks, Seaquest, Ice Hockey, Pitfall II and Plaque Attack. I also edited Fantastic Voyage, Col’N, Pick Up, Pharaoh’s Curse, Break-Down, Concentration, Hell Driver, Peter Penguin, Private Eye and Bowling. Here’s a link to them: https://www.mediafire.com/?8n93lm1j4r42812

/-/ound…

Cool. you guys can do what you want with the images I’ve linked.

You guys should check out the link above though, there’s lots of good content there.

Their box art for some of the Activision games wasn’t accurate. I also edited my own copy of Atari’s Adventure. The original box was orange.

/-/ound…

I think the problem with older systems is, it’s very difficult to find quality scans of box arts that are in good enough shape to use. I know for a fact that some of the box arts in that collection were fabricated from scratch. For Jaguar, I found a forum where someone had created several box arts. Check out the box back for “Air Cars.” The description reads “Story takes place in the future after a nuclear holocaust. Briefly a plot has been discovered of an organization to take over the world. They have developed advanced weapons one of them being a nuclear powered Air Car.” LOL