Atari ST emulation, advise please

Anyone have advise on how to get the ST Emulator working? having no luck so far, thanks

It depends on what you understand by “working”. I myself try to get it working with controller support for more than 2 years - every now and then. But no luck til today :pensive:

I never had a problem to get the emulator working for games that only need mouse or keyboard controls. Just download the hatari core, put “tos.img” (should be TOS version 1.02) into the system directory and a file called hatari.cfg with this content:

[Floppy]
bAutoInsertDiskB = TRUE
FastFloppy = TRUE
nWriteProtection = 0
szDiskAFileName =
szDiskBFileName =
szDiskImageDirectory =
szDiskAZipPath =
szDiskBZipPath =

[ROM]
szCartridgeImageFileName =
szTosImageFileName = tos.img 

The controllers (neither xbox one xinput or dinput devices) don’t work, but any game of my library that uses mouse or keyboard works pretty well.

You can open the integrated configuration GUI with the “X”-Button (it’s funny that the controller works for the “meta”-functions of the core, but not for the games itself) and it’s even possible to move the mouse-cursor with the controller in here. But I cannot map any keyboard key or gamepad button to the virtual controller. So many of my of favourite games (like Plutos or Goldrunner) are unplayable.

But back to you: where’s the obstacle for you? What exactly doesn’t work?

1 Like

System directory? where do i find this?

According to the tags of this Thread, you are using windows. So it should be very easy, it’s in the root of your retroarch installation:

RetroArch\system

How do you move that content into hitari.cfg?

Ive made a new folder for it in the system directory, bit am clueless how to move the text.

You don’t need a folder. Just right click and create new “textdocument” within system directory. Name it (the new text doument) hatari.txt and open it with notepad. Then copy-paste the text from my last post into this file. Close and save. Then rename hatari.txt to hatari.cfg

That’s it. Don’t forget to obtain the correct tos.img and copy it into the system directory, next to your newly created hatari.cfg

1 Like

I’ve followed your above instructions. Is there anyway to get the Atari ST core load up in the list of installed cores on the left main menu alongside the ret of y emulators? Sorry, only just installed RA and am just in the process of setting all up

I’m not sure if I understand your problem. The core only needs to be installed (downloaded) once, by using the menu option “Main Menu / Load Core / Download a Core”. After that the downloaded core will appear in the list with all other previously downloaded cores. Here I can load the core and load content afterwards.

grafik

Never had any problems with that. But usually I don’t use RetroArch as a launcher (I use Launchbox), so for me RetroArch is just the invisible engine that does all the nice things like gamepad controls, savestates, shaders and overlay :smile:

I launch my games with some kind of batch files, executing commands like this:

retroarch.exe -L .\cores\hatari_libretro.dll .\roms\st\goldrunner.st

Morning, thanks for reply. What I wanted was to import the games so I could select. image But that doesn’t work. I’ve also tried loading the content manually, like you said: image image image But as you can see, it still fails. Tried a few different games. How do you use your launch box? Sorry for the lack of understanding