Atarit 2600 in MAME

Tatsuya was nice enough to give me an older version of Mame (version 170) before the resolution issues became a problem, and I’m trying to get Mame to auto-configure a 2nd controller whenever a game is loaded.

The way it works by default, you load a game, tab menu/slot devices, then you choose “joy,” for “joyport2,” then you choose “Reset,” then “Return to Previous Menu,” then from there, you choose “Input (this Machine)” where you can finally configure the 2nd gamepad.

Thing is, all of this isn’t being auto-saved like it does with other things in Mame. Mame will remember your player 1 settings (if you remap button 1 to a different button), but all of this has to be done every time a new game is loaded.

By now you’re probably thinking “why don’t you just use Stella like everyone else,” valid question. I like how in Mame, you can bring up the Tab menu/Dip Switches, and change the Difficulty A and Difficulty B, and you know exactly what it’s set to. Stella has the option to configure that to a button, but how exactly are you supposed to know what mode it’s in? There’s nothing in the quick options, and there’s no graphical display informing you that the difficulty was changed.

So if I can get player 2 working by default in Mame without jumping hurdles every time I want to do it, Mame is the better choice in my opinion (plus I like having access to Mame’s awesome tab menu).

Anyone want to help me take a stab at this? Mame creates a config file for Atari 2600 in RetroArch\saves\mame\mame\cfg called a2600.cfg. Here’s what it looks like:

<?xml version=“1.0”?> <!-- This file is autogenerated; comments and unknown tags will be stripped --> <mameconfig version=“10”> <system name=“a2600”> <input> <port tag=":SWB" type=“OTHER” mask=“1” defvalue=“1”> <newseq type=“standard”> KEYCODE_F3 </newseq> </port> <port tag=":SWB" type=“OTHER” mask=“2” defvalue=“2”> <newseq type=“standard”> KEYCODE_F2 </newseq> </port> <port tag=":joyport1:joy:JOY" type=“P1_BUTTON1” mask=“32” defvalue=“32”> <newseq type=“standard”> JOYCODE_1_BUTTON4 </newseq> </port> </input> <image_directories> <device instance=“cartridge” directory=“G:\media\emu\RetroArch.” /> </image_directories> </system> </mameconfig>

So hopefully somebody knows something. Any help is much appreciated.