Audio strobing (pulseaudio underrun) in bsnes Madnafen mupen64plus

Kubuntu 15.10 running on Thinkpad x201t i7 L 620 4GiB RAM

I get constant audio strobe and retroarch logs pulseaudio underruns while using bsnes Madnafen and mupen. I do not get any audio issues in browser vlc or other media players.

I have tried most of the fixes here on the forums and here in various combinations.

Right now I have tsched=0, the snd-hda-intel fixes, high priorty to nice level -20, realtime scheduling to priority 1, reset my default sample rate to match my card, then the default fragments and size in msecs to match, plus tweaked the core and video settings as best I can. That has gotten my ‘close to underrun time’ down from %100 to around %12 but I still get a lot of underrun reports and the audio in game is still unlistenable.

It looks like the snd-hda-intel driver has given lots of people problems over the years and I’d guess it has more to do with my hardware and system config not playing nice with the cores than retroarch itself. I have tried using the other driver options without delving to far into configuration, most are perform worse than pulse.

Hopefully I can figure a real solution, but thought I would post what I have found so far in case it can help anyone else having audio problems or that someone may have a suggestion.

Try ALSA

Settings tab --> Driver --> Audio Driver = alsa