Auto Config Update Makes Cores Unable to Load

I bought an Nvidia Shield Pro last year and for all of 2020, Retroarch worked perfectly. Since 2021 rolled around, Retroarch has been automatically updating its config file. I want to disable this auto update because every time the update occurs, it causes problems. It just updated today and now most of my cores do not load at all. When I try to load a core through the “Load Core” option, I notice that the core does not show as being loaded in the bottom left corner. When I go to a game and select the core I want to open it with, it says, “Failed to load Libretro core.”

I have two questions:

1. How can I stop the config file from automatically updating?
  2. How can I make my cores load again?

Any tips would be helpful. I am guessing I am not the only one with this problem. I suspect it may have something to do with Google trying route all content through the Play Store, but I could be wrong.

If possible, I would recommend sideloading one of our builds instead of getting it from the Play Store, even if just temporarily. I believe once we release the next stable, the auto-update thing should stop happening, though in any case it shouldn’t be messing with your config file…

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I’m facing the same issue, but let me add a bit of detail in case it helps:

1. There was a notification from Play Store of an update on sunday morning (US Central time), I applied it. Since then, when capturing a screenshot from many cores crashed Retroarch even if the screenshot was generated.
  2. There was a second notification at afternoon. I did apply it too. After that, even if the previously installed cores are still there, many don’t load. When trying to download them again from Retroarch menu, there appeared only a handful of cores. Many of the ones already installed were missing, that’s the reason of the message when trying to load from the playlist.

Already uninstalled, and then installed it again FROM PLAY STORE. Same results.

After work, I’ll test sideloading the app to see if that works.

I hope this info helps.

1 Like

Forgot to add. When trying to loading manually a core which do not appear in the cores for download, the name of the core was not reflected at the top screen as usual. Instead appeared the “No core” default.

Again, I hope it helps.

Thanks for the input. I opened up Retroarch yesterday to see if it was still bugging out. It downloaded a new config.apk file and suddenly all of the cores worked again.

Based on your post, the auto update thing will be resolved in a future patch, correct? I would love to have the option to turn it on or off.

Thanks for everything and cheers again.