Autoconf Save Failure Etc

Hello,

I’m currently working on getting two Mayflash NES/SNES to USB adapters working with retroarch. I have managed to configure them in the “User 1” and “User 2” input sections just fine. I was worried there would be conflict in the way the NES controllers map vs the SNES controllers, but there isn’t. Setting up a SNES controller with the adapter in retroarch automatically sets up the NES “side” because the adapter presents itself to Windows as a gamepad with a single pool of buttons that both the NES and SNES controllers activate. In other words, “A” on the NES controller is “A” on the SNES controller and so on—the adapter automatically maps them that way. So, that’s cool—no need for separate NES and SNES configs.

However, I’m having some trouble with other aspects of the setup.

First off, I 'm having trouble creating autoconf configuration files for the setup. When I use different controllers, and then switch back to these, I would like it to automatically have the right info. However, every time I try to save the autoconf file, I get an error saying it can’t save. I’ve tried changing the autoconf directory and running retroarch as an administrator thinking the issue might be related to permissions, but no dice. The error exists in 1.3.4 and in the most recent nightly (5/31/16).

Second, and potentially related, any time I open retroarch, I see the message “nes/fc/sfc Joypad to USB BOX (121/6148) not configured.” I’m not sure what this means, because both adapters are set up and working.

Also, it would be great to get some clarification on how these autoconf files work, assuming I get them to save. As I said, I have setups for “User 1” and “User 2.” Do I need to save both of these configurations to autoconf files in order to be sure the second adaptor will recognize automatically? In other words, is the autoconf tied to the specific adaptor in some way (i.e. will one adaptor always be “Player 2” because it is identified by some unique number?). I’m going to be using N64 and PSX style controllers for other situations in addition to the NES/SNES controllers, so I want to make sure once everything is said and done, all I have to do to switch controllers is unplug one and plug the other in.

Thanks!

Autoconfiguration profiles are determined by vid/pid first and then fall back to names after that. There’s no way to assign permanent P1/P2 assignments. They will just automatically assign to a player in the order they’re plugged in.

Ok, that answers that question. However, any ideas about why it will not let me save the autoconf file?

Ok, that makes sense. I presume the feature will be updated later to replace any invalid characters in the filename? How should I go about getting the information to save in the meantime? I can isolate the controller’s vid/pid in device manager, and I can see how retroarch represents the button presses in the menu—is it possible to simply write the file in notepad based on all of that?

Okay, I seem to have successfully written my own autoconfig for the adapter based off of one of the provided autoconfig files–it seems the config files are fairly straight forward, and I simply filled in data based on what was showing up in retroarch and converted device manager’s hex vid/pid to decimal. As it turns out, that’s the 121/6184 number retroarch was giving as “unconfigured.” That error, now that the autoconfig file is in place, is gone.

I’m attaching the autoconfig file here. I believe it is written correctly, and hopefully it can be added to retroarch for others to use and avoid the issue with saving that I ran into. It would still be nice if, when saving an autoconfig file, retroarch knew to convert invalid characters to “allowed” characters based on operating system.