Back button and Mesen :/

Can you add a simple option in the settings to enable the phones back button (physical or touch) to work in all the menus of Retroarch? Retroarch has to be the first mobile app I see which ain’t got a working back button, that’s pretty amusing. Pressing the back button twice fast to exit a game would also be a nice feature, most standalone emulators work like this and I don’t see people complain about losing progress because they pressed the back button by accident… Usually the emulator shows a warning that if you press the back button again the game/emulator will exit.

And Mesen core can’t run headerless roms like the ones from the No-Intro collection but the standalone Mesen I tried in a computer could open said headerless roms… Maybe the standalone emulator has a database which let it know which mappers each game is using or something?

I tested both headered and headerless versions of many games btw just in case you might say the game is not working.

I don’t care mesen on android personally,way too slow.Please fix Nestopia core,it can’t play games like Contra japanese version while FCEUmm works fine.

you are missing NstDatabase.xml if you cant run Contra(J) (mapper23) on that core, unless you are softpatching it(or hard-patched) which nestopia’s db wont be able to catch if thats the case.

im not not quite sure why non-headered NES roms even exists…

in any case, Mesen should not have a problem loading a “known” headerless rom

I’ve tried this method https://redd.it/79nb9m but with on luck.

Can you guys please update NstDatabase.xml and Nestopia’s db for those games?

im not sure why you are requesting that…

anyways you are hijacking this post…

1 Like

Sorry about my comment.Mind send me your NstDatabase.xml and Nestopia’s db? I just tried again,black screen.

nestopia’s db is here:

download NstDatabase.zip, and extract the file inside to where you set you system folder in RetroArch

Black screen,btw i’m on android,the rom is from no-intro.

if your on android, thats a bug that is suppose to be fixed already with latest version of retroarch. try to update, or manually install the new nightly apk from buildbot.libretro.com

1 Like

Still not working,i have no idea why you can run this game,have you modified the defaul NstDatabase.xml?

Don’t know dude, apparently headerless roms are the purest dump possible for nes and fds carts according to No-Intro.

Wish the android Retroarch Mesen core could run them so I don’t need to have both headerless and headered collections for both nes and famicom…

Edit: wth I tried a few more nes roms and some ran! I noticed the core runs the full games but wont run the betas of some games (headered versions of said betas run though) So I guess it just won’t recognize non licenced stuff like betas and bootlegs…

As for the guy who said Mesen is slow, I run it full speed on a huawei p9 lite 2017 :smiley:

This is only true if you only care about the contents of the ROM chips on the cartridge. In the NES’ case, the type of cartridge itself is vital information that is necessary to emulate any game (there are over 250+ known board types used in NES games, and no way to “guess” which one must be emulated without a header). So headerless ROMs are essentially unusable unless a database entry exists, which is terrible for rom hacks & homebrew (and requires a database with thousands of entries for official games, too).

Either way, the libretro core should be able to load the same headerless roms as the standalone version, in theory. I guess I’ll have to double-check.

Also, Mesen is an upstream core, so, generally speaking, if you want me to be aware of an issue, it’s better to post on Mesen’s issue tracker rather than here - I don’t actually check these forums often. That being said, the buildbot is building Mesen from the libretro/Mesen repo (why does this repo even exist?) for the Android build, so any fix I would make won’t actually be applied to the android core, at the moment.

1 Like