Back in the CRT club! How to make 240p work with RA?

I agree, CRTs have a certain magic to them that’s really hard to pinpoint/explain. They just look better, and pictures can’t really capture it. The image is alive, sharp and smooth at the same time.

2 Likes

Without a doubt, this is the best display for 240p content that I’ve ever owned. I’ve come to the conclusion that there are several aspects of the CRT that shaders on an LCD are incapable of replicating: the way the phosphors emit light, the flicker, the true blacks, the complete lack of motion blur, the viewing angles. This easily beats every LCD and CRT TV that I’ve ever owned. The only thing that comes close is my plasma TV with emulated scanlines, but even that doesn’t have quite the same glow as the CRT.

The screen size (17") is quite a bit smaller than the 24" LCD display I was using, but that’s actually ideal for 240p content, since 240p content looks better with a smaller viewing angle than the viewing angles for 1080p or even regular standard def content. Eventually, I’d like to also get a 21" PC VGA CRT with a lower dot pitch.

Anyone serious about 240p gaming seriously owes it to themselves to get a decent CRT. Search on Craigslist, search on Letgo. Put a wanted ad up. Call some thrift stores. Call your local electronics recycling facility and ask if you can take one of their CRTs. If they say no, sneak in at night and just take one (just kidding, don’t do anything illegal). Just do whatever it takes.

3 Likes

Agreed. As much as I love CRT shaders, I have a room full of different CRT displays because there are aspects of them that current flat-panel displays just can’t reproduce.

15 khz, 31 khz, multisync, RGB, Svideo, composite, aperture grille, slot mask, shadow mask, high/low dot-pitch, high/low line-counts… each one brings something unique to the table.

3 Likes

sorry for the necropost here.

i’m wondering if someone can confirm for me that 15kHz 240p isn’t possible with an Intel IGPU PC? i asked around and was told I need crt emudriver for 15kHz and it won’t work without an ATI/AMD card.

You can’t get 240p on an Intel integrated graphics card and you don’t need crt emu driver. Custom Resolution Utility will also work.

As an alternative to 240p, you can use a 480p resolution and the interlacing shader; it’s basically identical.

1 Like

It may work on Intel, but there are few reports confirming it, and I’ve never seen anything regarding any possible differences between the different Intel GPUs.

That’s just for Windows though. From what Alphanu has written, it should work on Linux with CRT Switchres.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m more interested in the linux option. Is this via a Lakka install, or is it retroarch loaded on Ubuntu or some other Linux variant?

Thanks

@vol-2 CRTSwitchRes is built into Lakka for the Raspberry PI. However, it is not for PC version. This is because KMS is not supported. You need to use any distro with an xserver/x11 video driver. I would suggest Lubuntu or any Distro that comes with OpenBox. Open box does require a lot of setup though.

You can use my setup script from RetroArch CrtSwitchRes 15khz auto setup script.

You could always try my ISO. It has the setup scripts built in. Just install, run the scripts then plug in your CRT. You can find it here at my forum along with some CRTSwitchRs/MME4CRT knowledge base and support.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the info and all your work!

I installed your iso, but I haven’t done the scripts. Are the scripts run with the “install 15khz” option in the menu?

Yes indeed, unless you want 31khz.

Hi Alphanu. Thanks for the direction here. I got an installation of you MME4CRT up on an intel based laptop. I can get into Retroarch, but it’s not giving me any 240p resolutions. Even if I am playing a sega genesis game which should be ~240p, it displays interlaced output at a super resolution of 2560. I have the CRT switchres set to 15kHz, and I ran the script in the games folder to enable 15kHz. (which I also have to run everytime I restart the laptop, it doesn’t remember the settings) I have the video set to aspect ratio= core provided. integer scaling=on (with integer scale=off, it is vertically squished) It seems like maybe there is a forces 320x480 base resolution or something like that. I’m not sure where to troubleshoot at this point. An xrandr doesn’t list a 2560x240 or any such resolution with *x240 for the VGA output VGA-1) Any ideas?

Thanks

Intel integrated graphics won’t support 240p. Had the exact same issue with an Intel NUC system. 480p is the lowest you can go. Interlacing shader is going to be your best option.

interesting. even with a super resolution? i know nvidia cards can do super resolution but not 320240. it looks like the intel chipset is giving me 1400480 when i use the mme4crt 15khz installation script, but when i turn on crtswitchres, it displays as 2560*480i. weird stuff.

@Nesguy I have got 240p working with Intel. However, I sure it is dependent on you card. Linux is much more comparable though.

@vol-2 If i remember correctly 1920 or dynamic dynamic only works with Linux. Is the best to use with Intel cards.

1 Like

Hi Alphanu I’m just trying to understand something about rasp-pi and the CRTSwitchRes. So it’s built into Lakka now, but on witch output? is it via the RCA jack or the HDMI or do i need to use a vga666?, and also do i just set it to native or super rez?.

thank you for the hard work.