Bad Sector - 836 on Mednafen PSX

Hello everyone :slight_smile: i have a problem with running Final Fantasy VIII through Mednafen core in Retroarch, i`m using translation patch and disc is working on console, so it is correct, funny thing is that when i load game on standalone mednafen emulator - through mednaffe GUI it shows same bad sector but it goes over it after few seconds and game starts normally, is there any way to solve this problem and get game working in retroarch? Cheers :slight_smile:

its a bad patch method(without the ecc correction). first check if you have a matching crc required by your patch. if it does run ECCRegen on your patched iso/bin/cue and retest-- else have someone recompile you a mednafen_psx_libretro with the HAVE_CDROM_NEW flag.

[QUOTE=wertz;51215]its a bad patch method(without the ecc correction). first check if you have a matching crc required by your patch. if it does run ECCRegen on your patched iso/bin/cue and retest-- else have someone recompile you a mednafen_psx_libretro with the HAVE_CDROM_NEW flag.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reply, ive run ECCRegen and it didnt show any bad sectors. ive run it again through standalone version and it now showed that sector 837 is bad but it still runs game fine. no luck with libretro core, ive tried to patch new rip, fixed ECC errors and same problem. do Mednafen Core stops emulation when it detects corrupted sector and this flag disables it? sorry but i`m not much into programming.

having a recompile mednafen core with HAVE_CDROM_NEW will make it behave like standalone mednafen and bizhawk does, which means ignore bad sector errors which is usually caused by patches with no ecc fixed

Hello, I’m bumping the topic because I would like more details on that bad sector thing. I’m making a game-specific modding tool and, up to now, I never cared for updating the sector informations (I just skip over them). I always thought it had a kind of checksum but since the emulators I use (ePSXe and Psx) don’t seem to read them, I didn’t bother.

But I would appreciate to be able to fix that compute again that checksum without having to resort to another tool like CDMage. Does someone here know the format of the PSX game sectors or have a link to it?

Just to be sure we’re talking about the same thing: sectors are 0x800-sized packs of data, with 0x18-sized sector informations before them (with some sector ID) and 0x118-sized gibberish information after them (surely a checksum), right?

Thanks in advance.