Basic question - Official/repository cores?

Hi, I’ve been using RetroArch for a while with “basic” systems like SNES, Megadrive/Genesis, GameBoy… and now that I wanted to start emulating MSX I have a doubt.

I’ve seen in my cores folder “/usr/lib/libretro” that I don’t have fMSX or BlueMSX cores. I tried running the automatic cores downloader in retroarch but the cores don’t seem to download. So, my questions are:

a) Is manual-downloading the only option here?

b) What’s the reason those cores (and others) are not in the official Linux distribution? Is the same for other platform?

I wanted to be sure that I’m not missing anything before starting to mess with the default retroarch installation.

Regards

Are you using the Ubuntu PPA? If so, some of the cores aren’t included if they don’t compile in the automated build environment and some aren’t in there if we didn’t think they were stable enough to fool with packaging. I’m not sure whether one or both of these apply to the MSX cores.

Yes, you can manually download from buildbot.libretro.com and either move your core directory to somewhere user-writeable or sudo cp the downloaded library to your /usr/lib/libretro directory.

Thanks, hunterk. As you said, I’m using Ubuntu PPA. So it’s time for manual download.

Regards

Nobody searches for libretro cores in Synaptic… btw, the 2 MSX cores are there even in the stable PPA.

sudo apt-get install  libretro-fmsx  libretro-bluemsx 

Downloaded, sergio-br2. Any reason they didn’t download originally with “apt-get install libretro” and the later “apt-get update & apt-get upgrade”?

Regards

if they weren’t installed, they won’t get updated. I guess we could explore making a meta-package that depends on all of the cores and then update it when new cores are added… I’m not sure if that would actually change that behavior, though.

“apt-get install libretro” will do nothing, you need to type libretro-*