Beetle GBA Bug - Mega Man Zero 3

I just started playing Mega Man Zero 3 on Beetle GBA (it’s not the first time I’ve done so recently), and I noticed that Zero’s sprite jitters when Zero dashes and the screen is moving. Just to be sure, I checked an original copy of Mega Man Zero 3 to see if the behavior was exhibited there, and it wasn’t. I would share a video of the problem, but the recording feature doesn’t seem to be working. As far as I can remember, this problem didn’t occur during the first few times I played Mega Man Zero 3 with Beetle GBA on RetroArch. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I would recommend not using that core and instead switch to mGBA. It is both faster and more accurate. The error you are seeing sounds like an accuracy problem with the core.

1 Like

The thing is, I don’t remember this bug occurring the first time I played Mega Man Zero 3 on Beetle GBA.

I tried your suggestion to use mGBA, but it seems to have the same issue (although it’s harder to notice since the picture is so blurry).

I just tried it, video below.

Why does yours look so clear? Mine looks like crap.

Did you try Beetle GBA?

I am not sure why yours would look blurry. Do you have Bilinear filtering turned on? check the video settings. Also check that you don’t have any shader turned on.

Haven’t tried beetle. But if you are seeing it with both cores than I imagine it might be due to something else.

As it turns out, I had bi-linear filtering enabled for mGBA. I turned it off and verified that it does not in fact have the problem. However, it does have slightly higher input latency and the sound quality is noticeably worse, so I’m not sure I’ll be using it.

I am glad you got the blurriness fixed at least. As for the audio, I can’t say for sure, mGBA is flawless on my end. Maybe try a different audio driver? I use wasapi myself.

Also check that your FPS is set properly under video. Because retroarch syncs audio and video together, if the FPS is off it might cause stuttering.