Beetle PSX HW core runs everything but Rayman smoothly

Almost every game I can run with a combination of 2x/4x internal resolution and/or 4x Rasterizer overclock, but Rayman 1 runs awful with all eye-candy off. Nothing seems to make it run over 40 fps.

cpu: 8250u, no dedicated GPU. But it runs other games well.

On a side note, I can’t seem to make both internal fps and effective fps to be viewable at the same time.

Are you using openGL or vulkan? if using GL, give vulkan a try. I also assume you are using hardware mode and not software mode, right? Core has the option for both.

Result is about the same for vulkan. I was using hw. Out of curiosity, it runs at 60 fps under Mednafen, but it doesn’t feel smooth. HOWEVER, the software core version of Beetle PSX actually runs Rayman 100%, better than Mednafen as far as feel goes. Or should I say ms between frames? I’m using the latest stable release. I can set 2xBRZ and 2x internal resolution before increasing the internal resolution further makes the frames drop from 60 to 0.something abruptly, even in the menus, apparently. Of course, I’m referring to the sw core version with those settings.

Since Rayman is a 2d game:

adaptive smoothing OFF

msaa 1x

internal resolution 1x (native)

texture filtering nearest

use a proper shader: Super XBR 6p imho is the best for this game

try this way.

1 Like

I’m correcting myself. I didn’t see the option within the core to switch to software and assumed the core that didn’t say HW was the software mode. But it’s weird since changing to software in the HW core did nothing, but the core that is available to download that lacks HW in the name lacks the issues. There doesn’t seem to be a difference other than the issue affecting the former. Both cores seemingly have the same renderer options, or really the exact same options.

That brought my hardware to its knees for sure. But the game benefits from at least one pass of scan lines. To me, at least the backgrounds lose detail or the developers expected the scan lines to provide part of the contrast. Or should I say blacks?

I’ve had the same issue where most games run fine but a couple seem to struggle. In fact Tomb Raider III runs worse than Tomb Raider Chronicles.