Beetle PSX HW graphical glitches

Hi! I’ve started using the Beetle PSX HW and it woks great for 3D games, but for 2D games I got graphical glitches like these:

How do I fix that?

Sadly, the short answer is: You can’t.

The slightly longer answer is: (I’m no expert, just an enthusiastic hobbyist, but to my understanding…) These sorts of artefacts are due to the nature of the original hardware and how software was written for it. Modern 3D is all about ultra-high precision for all the mathematics involved for polygon vertices and how to translate them into “screen space”, whatever the output resolution happens to be.

In the PlayStation, that all happens as integers – no subpixel precision to be found. This means that even if you’re emulating at a high resolution, the game is expecting a resolution of 320×240 and will map everything directly to that, so it’ll generate integer coordinates. This is why you can see polygon vertices “pop” as through they were stuck on a lower-resolution grid, because… they are. Making matters even worse, textures are kept all crammed together in video memory without any idea of where they started out or what they go to, so you’ll often see fringe from whatever data happens to be right next to that texture in memory.

There are certain interesting hacks that can be done to get individual games or sometimes whole groups of games to render a little better, but in this case, there’s nothing for it but to run the game at its original resolution.

(Oh, and this isn’t just a hardware renderer problem. Try software rendering at anything other than 1x and you’ll see the same gaps and junk texture data start to appear.)

1 Like

I remember DOOM and Final DOOM are examples of 3D games that won’t render correctly in any resolution higher than the original console resolution.

I tried lowering the lowering the internal resolution to x1 and still got grapgical issues, but if I change the renderer to software it works great! Thanks!