Beetle PSX performance issues

I’m having a very strange problem with the Beetle PSX cores in recent versions of RetroArch, including 1.7.7. Ever since version 1.7.4, games will seemingly run just fine until I perform certain actions within the game. For example, in Ape Escape, when I use the Sky Flyer, it causes extreme slowdown that persists until I close and restart the core. There are times when an action in the game will crash RetroArch, such as when I shoot the net underwater. I don’t think this is a problem with the cores themselves, because when I use version 1.7.3, I have absolutely zero issues. I’ve tried everything I could think of to fix this issue: different renderers, settings, core options, nothing works. I really don’t want to keep an old version around just to be able to play PS1 games. Can you please help me figure out what’s going on here? Thank you.

My specs: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with latest drivers, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz, Windows 10 1809

Check this. Maybe a related problem?

Sorry I’m new to this forum and I can’t figure out how to start my own thread. I was about to make a topic about this issue. I was previously using 1.7.4 and it ran great. Now Beetle PSX and Beetle PSX HW chug on certain games. I noticed a significant performance drop in WipEout XL that is present in both Beetle cores but not in the ReARMed core. 1.7.7 has brought a list of problems for me though… for some reasons controllers are not hot pluggable for me anymore… when retroarch starts its not in focus so i have to click on it even though its fullscreen… and Saturn Yaba Sanshiro core 4x resolution mode is broken. :frowning: I don’t want to downgrade but I might just because of all the small problems.

Try moving your retroarch.cfg to another location temporarily and let it create a new one from scratch. If your problems resolve, you have a bad option somewhere. If not, try rolling back to an earlier release and see if that fixes it. If so, try updating incrementally until you can pin down when the problems started.

Cores are updated separately from the main program, so issues with one are not necessarily related to the other.